xxiii

i jolted awake to someone shaking my body vigorously

sweat trickled down and no sound came out of my parched throat.

"bae." joohyun looked at me in worry and handed me water which i greedily gulped down.

hoseok wiped of the sweat on my neck and temples.

my chest heaved up and down as i struggled for oxygen.

that incident scarred me for life.

and will definitely haunt me for life.

joohyun opened the window a bit wider, the fresh air clearing my mind.

hoseok's warm hands rubbed mine to provide some closure and warmth, which i desperately needed.

none of them asked me anything. and i was grateful for that.

the train underwent a tunnel, darkness engulfing us and only the blaring horn of the train and thundering rain on the train roof could be heard.

as the train came out, i looked at the two people looking at me.

three.

a woman was sitting beside joohyun and i was about to scream before i realised she wasn't dead.

i blinked, partly embarrassed that a stranger must've saw me hyperventilating and crying.

"bad dream?"

the woman looked at me, raising a single brow.

now that i looked at her carefully, she was dressed so differently.

chunks of junk jewelry adorned her. a beaded necklace rested till below her chest. huge, stone rings on her fingers. her clothes were long, flowy, as if draped around her. her wrist was lined with bracelets, various colours of beads.

she was like that one kid in class who always stood out. and sure enough, she caught everyone's attention on the train.

but she was unfazed by it.

"bad dream is it?" she repeated when she caught me staring at her.

i quickly nodded, snapping out of my daze.

"she's gone." she said after a moment of silence.

my brows furrowed.

but she didn't seem to get my confusion. instead she just repeated her words.

"she is gone now. won't bother you anymore."

joohyun looked at the woman. then at me and then at the woman.

"sorry, may i know who you are tal–"

"she has not told you yet." the woman never looked away from me as she replied to joohyun. "i am in no position to tell you."