xiii

my father was sitting in the living room, watching the news, after helping out taehyung and his family to shift in the house

i braced myself up for his silent behavior. i knew he would be upset.

"paa?" i called out to him. he looked at me before he picked up the remote and switched off the television.

"y/n?" he smiled warmly and my heart broke. he was upset surely. but more than that, he was worried. "are you feeling better darling?"

he patted the space beside him and i sat beside him. he took my hands in his and rubbed them.

"paa, i am sorry." i looked down at our hands.

he shook his head. "i didn't ask that y/n, tell me how you feel?"

"better paa."

"good. now, are you comfortable to tell about what happened last night?" he looked at me expectedly.

a part of me wanted to tell him. from scratch. but that day at the cemetery, when my aunt passed away i saw the look in his eyes and the words couldn't come out of my mouth. moreover, i was scared, about his life.

" i was really worried about his arrival paa. plus studies, the research papers have been keeping me so busy that i wasn't able to eat properly." the lies rolled off my tongue so easily. "i think, all those things just added up and i was drained out yesterday."

my father's brows furrowed. "you should've told me y/n. you know i am here. your mother is here-

"i know paa. and that is why i am sorry." i smiled. "i should've shared with you."

i wrapped my arms around his form and he returned the gesture. he patted my back and swung our bodies together. i was particularly close to my father. my parents loved us both equally. but my father always gave me those special brownie points. maybe because i was younger and joohyun got a lot of attention from everyone. though my father tried to cover that up, so that i don't feel bad, i could feel that joohyun was sometimes, preferred. due to her good and out going nature, she always mingled with everyone.

thus my father always made sure to make me smile. an extra piece of cake, late-night sneaking into the kitchen, and having ice cream. my father and i were the perfect partners in crime. somewhere, i felt i was the reason why we were not the same anymore.

"i love you paa. thank you so much for everything." tears welled up in my eyes, and i tried to hold them back.

"there is no need to say thank you y/n. and now i expect to hear everything about your day, yeah?" he pulled back and caressed my hair. "just like before?"

"just like before." i gave him a small smile.

"now, anything you need?"

"air. fresh air is what i need paa."