Chapter 8: Discovery

ELAINE'S POV

"Seraphina, Remi is here, she wanted to talk to you about something"

I said as I knocked on the door. I heard footsteps walking towards it and opened the door. She looked at me and responded with an "okay" before heading towards my bedroom. As I was about to close the door, I saw a glimpse of what was on top of her bedside table. 

It was...a book? 

I thought to myself as I walked towards it, I picked it up and read the cover. "Unordinary!? " H-how did Seraphina get a hold of a copy of this book? Maybe I should tell Arlo about this...but at the same time...I don't want Seraphina to get into trouble. Should I still go with it? 

I let out a frustrated sigh before grabbing the book and leaving her room. I made sure to check to see if the coast was clear before dashing out of the dorm room. As I got into the hallway of the dorms I decided to go somewhere secluded to get a better look at the book before I did anything irrational. I carefully made my way behind the door building where no other students hang out and sat down placing the book beside me. I got out my phone then started researching and browsing articles on the unordinary book, holding in a breath as my eyes scanned over the variety of articles on it.

"Unordinary is a novel written by W.H. Doe. It was banned a few months after publication because it was said to have been the cause of an influx of vigilantes"

My heart beat faster and faster by the minute as my finger continued typing away on my phone screen.

"What is a vigilante? Examples of a vigilante are what some people call "Superheroes" or "Super-vigilante". They are high-tiers with an ability level of 5.0 or higher."

I started sweat dropping as I read on and on about these "vigilantes". But continued searching.

"RECENT NEWS: Several "Superheroes" have been murdered in the last month"

My eyes widened in horror and shock as I read one word in the article over and over again.

"Murdered"

I unconsciously dropped my phone onto my lap as my arms gave out. I sat there on the ground, hands shaking with disbelief written all over my face. What should I do?! What if Seraphina becomes a vigilante? I held my head in my hands trying to get rid of all those possibilities when all of a sudden I got an idea. I grabbed my phone and started dialing someone's number, clenching my fist tightly. Then to my delight, they answered.

"Yeah"

"Hi, Arlo! U-um I think Seraphina is in trouble! found this book called "Unordinary" in her room...I-l doesn't know if you've heard of it, b-but I did some research, and it looks like bad news. I really don't know what to do! I worried for her-"!

"Elaine, calm down...All you need to do is to stay put for now. Does anyone else know about this?"

"Umm, n-no"

"Alright keep it that way"

"O-okay!"

I turn off my phone and stuffed it back in my pocket. Whilst leaning my head against the wall, I breathed a long sigh before getting the book and heading back to the dorms. I entered the dorm and walked towards my room. I placed my phone on the bedside table and lied down on my bed before drifting to sleep.

⁺˚*•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚⁺‧͙⁺˚*•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚⁺‧͙⁺˚*•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚⁺‧͙

{9:00 PM}

SERA'S POV

John, Crystal, and I were sitting at the edge of the roof, where we usually sit and hang out since no other students were brave enough to go up here. I was playing a game on my phone while Crystal was looking at the view from the roof, I then took a glimpse of John to see him looking worried and nervous.

"Hey what happened to you? "

"I just found out that report cards are coming out this Friday, just thinking about it gives me the chills! "

Crystal and I looked at each other and rolled our eyes while laughing at John reaction

"There's no point in freaking out, you can't do anything about it now, anyway"

" That's easy for you to say! They're not your grades!"

Crystal continued laughing and John punched her softly on her arm while I continued playing on my phone. I remembered the events that happened yesterday and seeing the book on top of Elaine's bedside stills before leaving for school, contemplating whether I should tell John now or later. After a few more minutes of contemplating, I decided to tell him what happened. 

I gave a long sigh and turned to John.

"Hey, John...I don't think I could give back that book to you"

John stared at me for a second and responded

"Elaine found it, didn't she?"

I flinched at John's response, how did John know? Was it that obvious!?

"Well..."

Crystal looked at us with a confused expression across her face

"What are you guys talking about?"

"I borrowed a book called Unordinary from John a while ago, but Elaine found out about it, and I bet she told on me"

I said looking at Crystal who was taking in all the new information, but then realization dawned on her.

"Wait, isn't that the book that was banned by the government!?"

"Yeah it is"

"But then how do you have a copy of it, John?"

"Well my dad gave me one of his copies"

"Wait... Your father is William Doe!?"

She asked with a surprised expression and John and I just chuckled at her expression.

"Yup he is! "

"WOW! That's so cool!"

As Crystal was in awe, John turned to me

"Aww come on Sera! You're always so careless! I warned you and everything back at my house! You might have godly abilities, but you can't rewind all your mistakes!!"

"Okay, I get it. I messed up"

"So what do you plan on doing now? "

"I'm gonna keep the book and make sure that they don't trace it back to you"

"Thanks but what about you?"

I shrugged my shoulders, and John's eyes widened

"Ah! What do you mean by *shrugged*"

"Well there is no way I'll be able to get past the lie detector, so I'll still be in trouble, but don't worry they'll be lenient with me. I'm Wellston's Ace afterall "

I smiled at John and went back to playing on my phone while John and Crystal were talking about school stuff. After a few minutes have passed John turned to me and asked me about what I thought about the book, and so we talked until It was time for the next class.