Chapter 27: Strawberry Smoothie

Arlo's POV

I slipped my hands inside my pockets as I walked away from Crystal. Why did I agree to this again I asked myself as I stopped in front of the counter. I've been acting not like myself lately, making decisions I wouldn't have made, doing things I wouldn't have done and right now I'm buying Crystal Nightingale food after she bumped into me and after helping her pick up her food. I have never done that before, let alone willingly help a low tier. What's wrong with me these days. Letting out a deep sigh, I ran my fingers through me hair, brushing the thoughts off as I stopped in front of the counter.

"One sandwich and a hash brown please," I said to the lady behind the counter as she looked up at me.

"Okay, just a second. Oh, and what sandwich would you like?"  The lady asked me, Crystal didn't specify what kind of sandwich she wanted, well it's her fault this time.

"Any sandwich would be fine thank you," I said to her as she nodded her head then went away to get the food. While I was waiting my eyes started wandering over to the food behind the counter, landing on a freshly blended strawberry smoothie. That's looks good, I am the one who's paying for Crystal's food so why not get something too. As the lady came back with a hash brown and a sandwich in her hands, I could hear some of the students gossiping behind me but I just ignored them.

"Here is the sandwich and hash brown, is there anything else you want to buy?" The lady handed me the food as I nodded my head in response.

"Yes, I would like one strawberry smoothie please" 

"Okay, one moment" Then the lady went off again, however the longer I stood there the noisier the other students in the cafeteria got. What's happening over there? I'll just take a look after I get my smoothie.

"Here is your smoothie," The lady said with a smile.

"Thank you," I said before walking away from the lady. Now, what is all this fuss about-? As I turned around I could see students crowding around a corner, and as I walked closer to them I could make out 4 figures, but a boy was blocking my view, it seemed like another low tier was getting beaten up again. I narrowed my eyes at this as I turned the other direction. None my business, now where is Crystal? I glanced around the rest of the cafeteria but no sight of her, making me furrow my eyebrows. Did she leave? I clenched the paper bag in my hand as I let out a "tch", I shouldn't have bought her food. But just as I was about to leave the scene, the student who was blocking my view earlier moved aside and there I could fully see and understand what was really going on. 

There stood in the middle of the ruckus were 3 high-tiers and...Crystal? So she didn't leave, I let out a sigh of relief, unclenching my had, before quickly realizing what was happening. I just left for 5 minutes and she couldn't stay out of trouble, can she? I sighed shaking my head as I activated my ability. Making my presence known to all the students. I made my barrier appear right in front of Crystal before the girls could land a hit on her. If I had realized any later then they would have had to suffer the consequence of messing with her. 

"ARGH!!" The three girls screamed as their fists collided with my barrier making them grip their hands tightly. 

"Who the hell did-!...Arlo..." They started trembling but kept their tough act as I began walking towards them with a cold look on my face.

"A-Arlo! What brought you here?" The nervous girl asked, how can Crystal let these girls beat her up like this? She's clearly capable of taking them on, so why? I sent a cold glare to the three girls as one of them turned to face Crystal with anger in her eyes.

"Arlo this stupid low-tier was bothering us, so we just taught her a lesson-!" I was about to cross my arms over my chest but I just realized I was still holding the smoothie and Crystal's food. I placed it on one of the tables and turned my attention back to the three girls.