Chapter 23: They're getting away!!

It was pitch black outside, the only source of light was the street lights and the million stars twinkling in the sky. And aside from the cars occasionally speeding by the house and the crickets outside, it was all silent.

John slept on a chair beside Sera's lying form, whilst the three of us slept in the living room. Arlo slept on the armchair with crossed arms whilst Elaine and I slept on the couch. Well for one I was a heavy sleeper most of the time and this was one of those times. But unlike me, Elaine was a light sleeper. Just as everyone seemed tp be asleep, shuffling could be heard walking up towards us, making Elaine wake up.

What-! Elaine thought as she slowly opened her eyes, but the next scene shocked her. There stood a man covered in black clothing which makes it hard to see his face, he was holding a knife above Arlo's sleeping figure ready to stab, this caused her to wake up completely.

"Arlo!"

As Arlo woke up Elaine hand her arm above him, taking the hit instead. By reflex my eyes fluttered open and wasted no time as I jumped up from the couch and quickly tackled the guy on the ground ripping the knife from his grasp and kicking it to the side, I took this opportunity to freeze his hands and legs together so he won't be able to move while Arlo and Elaine just watched me in awe.

"What brings you here at this time of night, mister sh*t? I was busy sleeping" I said as I punched him in the chest making him groan in pain.

"Leave him to me," Arlo said as he walked towards us as I stood up to face him

"Be my guest"

And with that being said I went over to Elaine who was holding the knife as she pulled it out of her arm, a wince escaping her lips. As the blue-haired girl held the knife in her hand she then realized something was wrong.

"Hey guys! This is the same knife Seraphina's been stabbed with, he may be the one behind this!" Elaine said with an angry tone. The stranger was now trembling in fear as Arlo lifted him by his collar while we all glared daggers at him.

Stomp. Stomp. Stomp

A click was heard then light filled the room as an angry John entered the room. "Guys, what's all the noise about? I'm trying to see-" He trailed off, taking in the scene in front of him.

"What the hell is going on?!"

"We found this guy snooping around, who could the one responsible for Sera." I said "This guy had the balls to come back for her. But not for long since I"ll them off if he does"t tell me why he did that to her."

"You won't get anything out of me!" The intruder managed to shout out.

"Wait for a second, we're missing something here." Arlo pointed out causing us to look at him while the stranger just smirked. "Someone as weak as him couldn't pull it off on his own. How did you do it? Tell me-!"

CRASH!

The sound of shattering glass was heard from John's room, the same room a certain injured girl was in.

"Sera!

John immediately dashed out of the room and towards his own. Elaine and Arlo quickly trailing close behind him, leaving me and the intruder alone in the room. I scoffed as he struggled to escape, I kicked him in the guts hard mercilessly knocking him out cold. I'll deal with this a**hole later. And with that I speed off towards the rest of the group, not long later I saw a glimpse John jumping out of the shattered window not turning back. Elaine and Arlo just standing there infront of the bedroom window, still trying to process the scene happening in front of them. One of the kidnappers had Seraphina over his shoulder as he hurriedly ran to the mysterious white van.

Sh*t he's going to escape! I wasted no time and jumped out of the window, ignoring Elaine's screams like a real badass. John and I knew we wouldn't be able to reach them in time which caused us to become more and more anxious by the minute, but we both soon felt relief wash over us when Arlo activated his ability, prohibiting the kidnapper from moving any further. I was about to activate my ability to attack the kidnapper, but then he suddenly pulled out a knife and held it up to Sera's throat.

"Stay back! Or I'll kill her!" While John was frozen still in his place, I saw this as an opportunity to get a little closer to the kidnapper and Sera.

"Now's a great time to use it, don't you think?" Celeste points out in my head, "Yeah I know" now here goes nothing

While the kidnapper was busy shouting at John, I activated my ability and went inside his mind, only a handful of people know but I have the ability to make people mentally and physically suffer by giving them their nightmares, it's included in the whole mind control thing but I'm only able to use it occasionally, so that's exactly what I did. He started screaming in pain causing him to let go of Sera and fall on the ground grabbing his head and shutting his eyes tightly. He deserved that for what he did to Sera.

"John!" I called his stunned figure over. "Can you keep an eye on the guy while I help Sera? He nodded his head as he gritted his teeth as he glared at the guy who intended to kidnap his best friend.

Meanwhile, I headed over to Sera, who was being healed by Elaine. I glanced over to Sera's body and noticed how her eyes were still closed shut as if she's sleeping. She was able to sleep through all that? What exactly did they do to her? I then snapped my head towards John's direction as soon as I heard his infuriated yells.

"I TOLD YOU NOT TO TOUCH HER DIDN'T I? YOU PIECE OF SH*IT-!" He got the stranger's knife then stabbed him with it making him scream in pure agony.

"Hurry up!" The guy said out of the blue as if he was talking to someone-! Sh*t Oh no!! Before we all realized it the white van speed towards John and the stranger, while unexpectedly smashing Arlo's barrier in the process as it continued speeding towards John.

"John! Watch out!" I screamed out, but it was too late. I was too far from John to save him and the van was inches away.

THUD! CRASH!

Was heard as blood flew out of John's mouth, just as he made contact with the front of the van causing him to be knocked back several feet. And in a blink of an eye, before I could react, his body collided with mine, and to top it all of the knives John was holding to stab the guy made their way several inches deep into my thigh causing me to scream in pain. I don't know how it made its way there but what I do know is it hurt like hell! Wich not to mention, only added to my intense headache from the mind-controlling.

John and I landed right beside Sera and Elaine who was frozen in shock at what she just witnessed. Despite the excruciating pain on my thigh, I grabbed hold of the knife and pulled it out with a grunt. It affected Elaine's ability earlier so it might affect mine too.

"We're running out of time! It's going to wear off soon, and when that happens we're done for!" I overheard them mumbling, well not like they're trying to keep it a secret at how loud their voices were. In an instant, my eyes go wide as the intruders scurried away towards the van, one of them helping the injured guy. Sh*it their escaping!

John struggled to get up and attempted to copy Arlo's barrier. Unfortunately, the strangers already got into the van, busted through John's barrier then quickly drove off. I tried to go after them but my leg was feeling numb and it was losing a lot of blood by the second.

In the end, the four of us were left there with nothing except for more injuries and a whole lot of regret.