Chapter 21

Miranda's POV

I stayed in Rivendell for many days. Catching up with old friends and making new ones. But now, it was time for me to depart.

"Please tell my mother that I will go see her when I can." I asked Lord Elrond. A man who has been like an uncle to me.

"I will. Be safe." He told me, giving me a hug and then stepping back.

"Arwen," I began and then continued in a whisper, "I know you like him."

She blushed and hugged me. "I'll miss you, Luna."

"I'll miss you to," I told her, then turned to the boy who would eventually be known as Strider, "Aragorn, will you ride with me to the border?"

We mounted our horses and took off.

~*~

After some riding we had gone our separate ways and I was alone again. I now traveled along the Great East Road to The Shire. On the way there, I stopped in Bree for a night.

"Room for one and some bread." I said, placing money on the counter.

The innkeeper stared at me. My hood was up and only my mouth was visible. He took the money and passed me a key and bread. "A curious feller ain't ya. Not many people around here walk around with gold in their pack." I didn't reply and took the key off the table and the bread from his hand. "A silent one 'eh? Where do you travel?"

"West." I said, taking a bite out of the bread.

"Another feller headed towards the Shire?" He asked, more to himself then me. He turned around muttering, "What's so interesting about a bunch of hobbits anyways?"

~*~

The next day I made my way to the stables. Petting his head, I asked Rochben, "Are you ready for another day's ride?" He whinnied and stomped his left foot impatiently. I chuckled at him, petting his mane.

"You ride bareback little Lassie?" Came a voice from behind me. I spun around pulling out one of my daggers. It was a white bearded dwarf. "No need for that, I simply came to talk." I sheathed my dagger and turned back around. "My name is Balin. What's yours?"

"How did you know I was a woman?" I asked him rather rudely.

"It's simple really, you don't have the body of a man," I sighed and pulled my hood farther down. "You may call me Miranda."

"Very nice to meet you Lady Miranda." He said. From the long pause I assume he had bowed.

I turned around and bowing, said, "Eithel govannen." I made sure I had everything and began leading Rochben out of the stables.

"I hope to see you again Lady Miranda!" I heard Balin call. I climbed onto Rochben's back and lifted my hand in a short wave.