Chapter 23

Third POV

As Bilbo opened the door, a cloaked figure pushed themselves into a corner and ate quietly.

"Dwalin, at your service." Came a low voice from the door.

"Bilbo Baggins, at yours." The hobbit replied. "Do we know each other?" The hobbit asked, trying to block him from entering his home.

The dwarf looked at him strangely, "No."

Miranda flinched when she saw the dwarf eat the head of the fish Bilbo was going to have as his supper. As she resisted gaging, the rude dwarf asked for more food. Poor Bilbo picked up a plate of rolls. He pocketed two before passing the rest to Dwalin at the table.

As the dwarf stuffed his face, Bilbo approached the hooded figure. "Here." He said passing her a roll. Then the door chimed.

Bilbo opened the door and found himself face-to-face with another dwarf. This one with a white beard. Miranda stepped out of the corner and walked to the door, only to be greeted by a familiar face.

"Balin, at your service." The white bearded dwarf in red robes said, bowing.

"Good evening?" Bilbo said looking bewildered.

"Yes, it is." Balin said adding something about the weather before he spotted his brother. Bilbo started off on a tangent about knowing visitors before they come visiting that no one was really listening to. Until he apologized.

Balin smiled at him before responding, "Apology accepted." As the two returned to their conversation, the door chimed.

"Fili-" started the blonde one.

"And Kili-" continued the dark-haired one.

"At your service!" They said together, bowing.

"You must be Mr. Boggins!" Kili exclaimed.

"Nope!" Bilbo stated irritated, "You can't come in, you've come to the wrong house."

"What?" Kili asked, "Has it been canceled?"

"No one told us," Fili continued.

"Canceled? No! Nothing has been canceled!" The hobbit exclaimed.

"Oh! That's a relief!" Kili said, before they both pushed past him into the hobbit hole.

The four dwarves began moving things about trying to get ready to fit everyone in. Miranda stood quietly, unnoticed. When the door chimed again, Bilbo got upset. "No! There is nobody home! Go bother somebody else! There's far too many dwarves in my dining room as it is!" But when he opened the door, there stood Gandalf in front of a dog-pile of dwarves.

The dwarves began to pillage Bilbo's food storage like short, hairy dragons. Piling everything onto the table before they all began to eat. It was a rowdy but lively gathering to say the least.

As Bilbo began to complain to Gandalf about all of the things wrong with his house, a dwarf came up to him and asked, "Excuse me, what should I do with my plate?" And so began a song as silverware and dinnerware were tossed about the room.

Blunt the knifes and bend the forks,

Smash the bottles and burn the corks.

Chip the glasses and crack the plates,

That's what Bilbo Baggins hates!

Cut the cloth,

Tread on the fat.

Leave the bones

On the bedroom mat.

Pour the milk

On the pantry floor.

Splash the wine

On every door!

Dump the crocks

In a boiling bowl.

Pound 'em up with

A thumping pole.

And when you're finished,

If any are whole!

Send them down

The hall to roll!

That's what Bilbo Baggins hates!

By the end of the song, all of the dishware was stacked up in the sink. As the company was laughing there came a thump on the door.