Chapter 70

Miranda's POV

"Alright Lassie, I'm going back inside. Will you be alright on your own?" Balin asked me.

"Yes, I wish to stay out here a little longer," I said nodding. He turned to walk away but I called out to him, "Balin!" He gave me a questioning look. "Thank you."

After he was gone, I thought about yesterday. Thorin had dragon madness and Bilbo had the Arkenstone. However, because Thorin couldn't find the Arkenstone, he was suspecting his own. Was there something I could say to change it? Some way I could make him see sense?

I looked down towards Dale where the Laketown refugees were and I could see shining gold plates. "The Elves of Mirkwood," I whispered to myself before turning away from the light.

~*~

I entered halls and found Thorin staring at a jeweled necklace of starlight. I recognized the gems as Smaug had gifted me many when we lived together.

Thorin tossed the necklace back into the box saying, "I know an Elf Lord who will pay a pretty price for these." Thorin turned and saw me standing there.

"Thorin," I said. "The Elves of Mirkwood are here."

His eyes widened and he summoned the other dwarves. "Come on!"

I followed them but stayed in the shadows. I saw Bard come in on a white horse.

"Hail, Thorin, son of Thrain. We are glad to find you alive beyond hope." Bard called up to Thorin.

"Why do you come to the King Under the Mountain armed for war?" Thorin asked suspiciously.

"Why does the King Under the Mountain fence himself in like a robber in his hold?" Bard shot back.

"Perhaps it is because I am expecting to be robbed," Thorin replied.

"My Lord," Bard said. "We have not come to rob you, but to seek fair settlement. Will you not speak with me?"

Thorin nodded and motioned for him to follow as he walked down from his perch. They spoke through a hole in the wall. "I am listening," Thorin told Bard.

"On behalf of the people of Laketown, I ask that you honor your pledge. A share of your treasure so that they might rebuild their lives," He asked.

"I will not treat with any man while an armed host lies before my door." Thorin replied, I could not see his face, but I was not sure I wanted to.

"That armed host will attack this mountain if we do not come to terms," Bard warned.

"And your threats do not sway me," I had to strain to hear Thorin, but his response only made me angry.

"What of your conscience?" Bard asked. "Does it not tell you our cause is just? My people offered you help. And in return, you brought upon them only ruin and death."

"When did the men of Laketown come to our aid but for the promise of a rich reward?" Thorin responded.

"A bargain was struck!" Bard exclaimed.

"A bargain?" Thorin asked angrily. "What choice did we have but to barter our birthright for blankets and food, to ransom our future in exchange for our freedom? You call that a fair trade? Tell me, Bard the Dragon Slayer, why should I honor such terms?"

I could imagine the incredulous look on Bard's face as he replied, "Because you gave us your word." Thorin looked down for a moment as Bard continued. "Does that mean nothing?"

Thorin did not respond, instead he moved away from the hole in the stone. It was answer enough, he didn't not need to utter his next words, "Begone! Let arrows fly!"