Chapter 30

Miranda's POV

With that we were off, running across the tundra. We ran over rocks and hid behind boulders. Everything was going according to plan until Kili shot one of the wargs with an arrow. It roared and cried as it died, alerting the others to our position.

"Run!" Gandalf yelled.

"There's more coming!" Thorin yelled, "Kili! Miranda! Shoot them!" Kili and I were shooting arrow after arrow.

I just barely heard Dori ask, "Where's Gandalf?"

"He's abandoned us," Dwalin growled.

"Hold your ground!" Thorin ordered.

"This way you fools!" Gandalf called before disappearing behind a rock.

"Quickly, all of you!" Thorin yelled, "Go, go, go!" Thorin sliced a warg that was coming at me. "Get in!" He told me. "Kili! Run!"

Once everyone was inside, I heard a horn blare. An orc fell into our hiding place and Thorin pulled out an arrow. "Elves," he sneered in disgust.

"I cannot see where the pathway leads. Do we follow it or no?" Dwalin asked.

"We follow it of course!" Ori replied.

"I think that would be wise," Gandalf said. One after the other, we trooped through the tunnel until we came upon the elven city of Rivendell. "The valley of Imladris! Here lies the last homely house, east of the sea."

"This was your plan all along," Thorin accused. "To seek refuge with our enemy."

"You have no enemies here, Thorin Oakenshield," Gandalf replied.

"The only ill will to be found in this valley is that which you bring yourself," I snapped.

"You think the elves will give our quest their blessing? They will try to stop us." Thorin said.

"Of course, they will. But we have questions that need to be answered." Gandalf argued. "If we are to be successful, this will need to be handled with tact and respect. And no small degree of charm. Which is why you will leave the talking to me."

We all made our way down the path. I wanted to run ahead and find Arwen, but I didn't.

"Mithrandir!" Lindir said, his eyes scanned the company before landing on me. "My lady."

"Lindir," Gandalf and I greeted him.

"Min heard cin had crossed into i imald," Lindir said.

"I must speak with Lord Elrond," Gandalf said.

"My Lord Elrond is not here," Lindir replied.

"Not here?" Gandalf asked, "Where is he?" At that moment I heard a horn blare. As the elven soldiers arrived, the dwarves took up defensive positions. I shook my head at them.

"Gandalf!" Elrond exclaimed smiling.

"Lord Elrond. Mellon nin. Where gar- cin been?" Gandalf asked.

"Min've been faras a pack -o Orcs i came or- uin acharn," Lord Elrond replied, coming up to give Gandalf a hug. "Mín slew a gwanod nev i dolen aglon. Strange for orcs to come so near our borders. Something or someone has drawn them near."

"Ah," Gandalf said, "That may have been us."

"Welcome, Thorin, son of Thrain." Elrond said as the dwarf walked up.