Chapter 67

Miranda's POV

Long after the fires had died, I stood there, staring up at the sky, tears streaming down my face. I heard something coming and turned my head.

"There!" A voice cried. "A survivor!" I looked towards the sound, but I could barely see anything through my tears. I felt arms surround me. "It's alright now. We've got you. You are safe." I saw blurry arms reach out to me and pull me onto the boat. "Do you know if you are the only one?"

"Only what?" I asked, my voice breaking.

"Only survivor," I different voice whispered.

"Yes," I replied, "I am the only one."

Hushed words were whispered to me, but I could barely pay it any mind. I felt blankets on my shoulders.

"Are you burned anywhere?" A woman's voice asked, patting my arms and checking me for injuries.

"No," I replied. I was silent the entire ride to shore. The voices around me quieted as I clutched the egg to my chest, leaving me to my thoughts.

~*~

"Did you find anyone?" I heard a familiar voice ask.

"Tauriel?" I croaked.

There was a gasp and a pair of warm arms wrapped around me and a heavy pack placed at my feet. "Miranda!" Tauriel cried. "When I saw you fall with the dragon, I thought I had lost you!"

"What news?" A different voice asked, coming up to us.

"Bard?" I asked, looking up.

"Miranda!" He exclaimed. I felt his arms surround me for a few moments. "How did you survive?"

I shrugged. "I was fulfilling a promise." I replied, clutching the egg tighter.

Bard looked down at my arms and passed me a bag. "You shouldn't let the towns people see that. They might destroy it."

I nodded and took the bag from him. Carefully, I placed the egg inside. The moment my hands left it, the thrumming in my head stopped, I had never felt more alone.

~*~

I was wiping my eyes as Tauriel and Kili spoke. I saw someone behind them and Tauriel stiffened.

"Take your leave of the dwarf." He ordered. "You're needed elsewhere."

"Miranda!" Fili called. Legolas's eyes shot towards me. "Let's go!" I looked between Legolas and Fili. "Come on!" Fili called, getting out of the boat and grabbing my arm, dragging me away. I didn't fight him, nor did I turn away from the piercing blue gaze.

"I will return," I told Legolas. "I will return to you."

He didn't respond. He simply watched me go.