Chapter 83

Miranda's POV

I held my head as I stood up, still leaning against the stone pillar. I looked at Thorin as he stared around the room with new eyes. Eyes that were finally seeing the truth. The distant sounds of battle could be heard from outside the walls. I watched as Thorin's eyes filled with worry and determination. He was ready.

Thorin began to walk towards the exit and towards me. After he had walked past me, I followed him. His head turned around; his eyes widened. "Miranda," He whispered. I said nothing, instead, I pulled an arm against my chest, bowing low. "No," He said, placing a hand on my shoulder, "We are equal." I smiled at him, then we walked back to the others.

Some of the dwarves who had been sitting down stood as their king arrived. I walked out from behind Thorin and trekked alongside him.

"I will not hide, behind a wall of stone while others fight our battles for us!" Kili proclaimed. Thorin kept marching forward, saying nothing. "It's not in my blood, Thorin."

"No," Thorin replied, looking into his nephew's eyes, speaking softly. "It is not. We are sons of Durin. And Durin's folk do not flee from a fight." Kili's eyes filled with unshed tears, a thin smile resting on his lips. Thorin's arm rested on Kili's shoulder and they gently touched their foreheads together, smiling at each other.

"I have no right to ask this of any of you." Thorin spoke, looking around at us all. "But will you follow me, one last time?" The surrounding dwarves raised their weapons and stood taller, answering the request of their king, of their friend.

The dwarves on the battlefield had their backs against the wall. At the sound of a horn, the orcs advanced on them. Bombur played a great horn, rallying the dwarven troops. A great bell was rung, knocking down the wall. We ran across the rubble towards the fighting troops.

"To the King!" Dain shouted as we ran through the ranks of dwarves to the front. "To the King!"

Thorin ran ahead, shouting a battle cry, leading the dwarves in a last stand. I felt my sword connect with an orc's head and I slashed my dagger through another's chest. We took out slews of orcs and beasts. The dwarves rallied to their king. We were fighting for our lives. For our right to exist in this world.

~*~

"Dain!" Thorin called to his cousin.

"Thorin!" Dain yelled back. "Hold on! I'm coming!"

I ran forward too, arriving as Dain jumped on one of the orcs fighting Thorin.

"Hey cousin, what took you so long?" Dain asked. They laughed and hugged. "There are too many of these buggers, Thorin. I hope you've got a plan."

"Aye," Thorin responded, looking up at the flags that directed the army from Ravenhill. "We need to take out their leader."

"Azog," Dain said in a low voice.

"I'm gonna kill that piece of filth," Thorin growled, mounting a goat.

"Thorin, you cannot do this," Dain said. "You're our king."

"Thorin," I called. "Remember my warning."

"I have to do this Miranda, if I don't, then this battle will be lost." Thorin replied, killing the orc behind me.

"I understand," I replied. "I will follow you."

"Thank you. You are a true friend," Thorin said placing a hand on my shoulder. I lowered my head in thanks.

I whistled loudly and I saw Rochben already making his way towards me. "You know me too well," I told him as I mounted him.

"You're not goin' anywhere without us!" Dwalin called, as he, his brother, and Thorin's nephews came in on a war carriage pulled by mountain goats. We blazed through the army of orcs towards Ravenhill, fighting all the way.