Chapter 59

Third POV

Kili was groaning and crying out in pain. Bofur had just filled a bowl with hot water, but the they needed herbs.

"Can you not do something?" Fili asked.

"I'm trying!" Miranda exclaimed. She was flipping through the book that her parents had edited for her before she left home.

"I need herbs." Oin said. "Something to bring down his fever."

"I have nightshade," Bard offered. "I also have feverfew."

"They are no use to us," Oin responded.

"Do you have any kingsfoil?" Miranda asked, looking up from the book.

"No, it's a weed. We feed it to the pigs." Bard replied.

"Pigs? Weed." Bofur said.

"Go get some!" Miranda exclaimed. "Hurry!"

"Right," He said and left.

~*~

"You want me to find a jewel?" Bilbo asked the dwarves.

"A large, white, jewel. Yes." Balin replied.

"That's it?" Bilbo questioned. "I imagine there's quite a few down there."

"There is only one Arkenstone," Balin said firmly. "You'll know it when you see it."

"Right," Bilbo said, as if he didn't quite believe him.

Balin sighed, "In truth lad, I don't know what you'll find down there. You needn't go if you don't want to. There's no dishonor in turning back."

"No, Balin," Bilbo said, "I promised I would do this, and I think I must try."

Balin looked shocked for a moment before beginning to laugh. "It never ceases to amaze me."

"What's that?" Bilbo asked.

"The courage of hobbits." He replied. "Go now, with as much luck as you can muster."

Bilbo smiled at him before making his way down the long, dark cavern.

"Oh, and Bilbo," Balin added.

"Hmm?" He asked.

"If there is, in fact, a, um, live dragon down there, don't waken it," Balin warned.

With that, Bilbo turned and continued down into the dark.