Chapter 35

Third POV

Gollum was now chasing Bilbo though the maze-like passages in the mountain. While this was happening however, the goblins were about to cut off Thorin's head when there was a flash of white light. The goblins were thrown back and out stepped an old man with a staff.

The old man was Gandalf and he urged the dwarves to take up arms and fight. The dwarves and Gandalf began to fight their way through the goblin tunnels. Pushing and slashing, fighting off all goblins that blocked their path. Gandalf killed the great goblin king but the planks they were standing on broke and they fell down to the bottom of the mountain. As they were getting up, the goblins were chasing after them down the rock walls. Gandalf ushered them out of the mountain. Bilbo watched unnoticed.

As Bilbo was being chased by Gollum earlier, he had fallen onto his back and the ring he had slipped onto his finger. Now it seemed that Bilbo was invisible, but to get to his companions, he would have to jump over Gollum who was hiding behind a rock. Bilbo thought about running the creature through, but then he remembered what Gandalf had told him.

"True courage is not knowing when to take a life, but to spare one," This Gandalf had said to him earlier in the journey. Gollum, the miserable creature, would live to see another day. With a running start, Bilbo leapt over Gollum and the rock and took off running after his companions.

Gandalf was with the dwarves ahead of Bilbo and counted them as they came down the mountain. "8, 9, 10, 12, and 13. Wait, 13. Where are Bilbo and Miranda."

"Miranda was not with us when we left Rivendell," Thorin said. "We thought she would arrive with you; it seems she decided not to come."

"Miranda was not in Rivendell when I left," Gandalf replied then repeated his earlier question, "Where is Bilbo? Where is our hobbit? Where is he?"

"Curse that halfling! Now he's lost?" Gloin exclaimed. "I thought he was with Dori!"

"Don't blame me!" Dori said, angrily.

"Where did you last see him?" Gandalf asked, urgency in his voice.

"I think I saw him slip away when they first collared us," Nori said.

"Then what happened exactly?" Gandalf interrogated, "Tell me!"

"I'll tell you what happened." Thorin said, "Master Baggins saw his chance and he took it. He has thought of nothing but his soft bed and his warm hearth since first he stepped out of his door. We will not be seeing our hobbit again." When Bilbo heard this, he hid behind a tree, not that he really needed to. Thorin continued, "He is long gone."

Bilbo thought for a moment. He took off the ring and stepped out from behind the tree. "No. He isn't."

"Bilbo Baggins," Gandalf chuckled. "I have never been so glad as to see anyone in my life."

"Bilbo, we'd given you up," Kili said.

"How on earth did you get past the goblins?" Fili asked.

"How indeed," Thorin said looking up at Bilbo as if he might kill him if he did not like what he heard. Bilbo chuckled awkwardly as he tried to stealthily place the ring into his pocket.

"Well," Gandalf said, noticing this action. "What does it matter? He's back."

"It matters." Thorin said, "I want to know. Why did you come back?"

The two stared at each other for a moment before Bilbo replied, "Look, I know you doubt me. I know you always have. And you're right. I often think of Bag End. I miss my books. And my armchair. And my garden. See, that's where I belong. That's home." Thorin's facial features began to soften as Bilbo continued, "That's why I came back. 'Cause you don't have one. A home. It was taken from you. But I will help you take it back if I can."

The dwarves were silent. Their features soft. But the moment was shattered when a warg howled.

"Out of the frying pan," Thorin began.

"And into the fire," Gandalf finished. "Run. Run!"

The company ran down the hillside with the wargs getting closer and closer. Soon they stopped, because they had hit a dead end. The cliffside fell in a sudden drop.

"Into the trees!" Gandalf ordered. Everyone began to climb into the fir trees with the wargs nipping at their heels.

"They're coming!" Thorin yelled. Bilbo was still trying to get his sword out the dead warg's skull. He got it out just in time to climb a tree. The wargs had them surrounded. Then from the tree line came the white orc.