Chapter 90

Third POV

The ice around Thorin's feet cracked and splintered with each hit of Azog's weapon. Finally, the ice broke, the sheet rocked with even the most minute movements. The ice was slick and Thorin fell onto his back while dodging then as he stood, he took a blow to his stomach, causing the him to fly backwards. The pale orc brought his ball-and-chain down towards the downed dwarf. Thorin rolled out of the way just in time.

When Thorin could get up again, he ran up to Azog and slashed his stomach with his sword. The Defiler roared and slammed his weapon down. The rock slammed into the ice. Azog pulled the chain, but it was no use, the stone was stuck-fast.

Azog took a few steps forward and swung his sword arm in Thorin's direction, but he retreated back when the ice-flow started to tilt. The pale orc sneered at the dwarf king. Thorin breathed heavily watching as his enemy's face fell. Behind him, the eagles were coming with Radagast and Beorn. The skin-changer slipped off the eagle's back and morphed into a bear as he fell. Together, with the giant birds, they decimated the orc soldiers.

The Defiler was distracted and Thorin took his chance. He let go of the sword in his hand. The clattering sound brought Azog's attention back to him. Wasting no time, he picked up the stone and threw it at the pale orc before stepping off the ice-flow. Azog's eyes widened as the flow tilted. He let go of his ball-and-chain, grasping at the ice-flow desperately, before sinking into the depths of the water.

Thorin stood on the surface, listening to the cries of the eagles in the distance. After a moment, he bent down and picked up the sword, noticing something curious. Azog floated on the surface, just under the ice. Thorin watched, as the Defiler's eyes slowly shut before they shot open again and the pale orc's sword-arm impaled Thorin's foot.

Azog the Defiler crashed through the layer of ice and brought his sword down upon the dwarf. Thorin laid on his back, blocking the attack with his own sword. Thorin groaned as he strained to fight the grinning orc. At that moment, Miranda had just reached the ice, she saw what was happening and yelled, "Thorin!"

She raced towards the two figures, but it was too late, Thorin released his sword and the orc's blade pierced his chest. He could hear Miranda calling his name in the distance as his mouth opened in a silent scream of pain. Azog the Defiler grinned showing his fangs, but the King Under the Mountain wouldn't have it, he plunged his sword into the pale orc's chest. Azog's face contorted in agony. Thorin Oakenshield rolled on top, plunging his sword straight through The Defiler and into the ice below. Azog groaned, his eyes wide, then he went slack. The pale orc, Azog the Defiler, was dead.

Thorin felt his own pain and he stood on shaky legs and began making his way towards the frozen waterfall. The dwarf king looked over at the decimated orc soldiers and collapsed onto his back. "Thorin!" Miranda called, running up to him. "Thorin. What did you do? I told you not to face Azog. Why didn't you listen to me?" Tears flowed down Miranda's face as she placed her hands on Thorin's chest.

"It had to be done," Thorin said, "I couldn't let him harm anyone else." A hobbit ran up to them. "Bilbo."

"Don't move. Don't move. Lie still," Bilbo encouraged, also placing his hands on the wound.

"I'm glad you are here. I'm glad you are both here." Thorin spoke his voice soft and his breathing shallow. "I wish to part from you in friendship."

"No," Bilbo said. "You're not going anywhere, Thorin. You are going to live."

Thorin strained to talk, "I would take back my words and deeds at the gate. What you did only a true friend would do. Forgive me. I was too blind to see it. I'm so sorry, that I have led you into such peril."

"No," Bilbo said again. "I'm glad to have shared in your perils, Thorin. Each and every one of them. It is far more than any Baggins deserves."

Thorin turned to me. "Miranda."

"I'm here. I'm here Thorin," Miranda said, trying to keep her voice even.

"Miranda. You are the one elf I should have trusted the entire time. You spoke out when no one else would. You are a good, true friend," Thorin spoke, he coughed. "And more. Miranda," He said again.

"Yes?" She asked.

"I think with more time I could have loved you," He said softly, a light airiness entering his voice.

"Thorin," Miranda began, her voice breaking, fresh tears running down her cheeks.

"Shh," Thorin spoke, "Don't say it. I know." He coughed.

"Thorin," Miranda said. "Don't speak now."

Thorin coughed again and continued, "I know how you feel about that elf. I hope he protects you." Then he laughed a bit. "Not that you really need it." Miranda laughed with him through her tears. "You have a beautiful smile." Miranda passed him a watery smile as she moved her hands from his chest and held his hand. "Farewell, Master Burglar, My Lady."

"No! No. No. No. No." Bilbo said, his voice breaking. "Thorin. Thorin, don't you dare." Thorin exhaled and his eyes lost their luster.

Miranda's face flowed with more tears, but she could barely bring herself to speak. "Goodbye, Thorin."