Chapter 85

Third POV

The fighting in Dale between the orcs and the refugees of Laketown continued in earnest as a horse with two elves rode up to Gandalf and Bilbo.

"Gandalf!" A blonde elf prince called.

"Legolas." Gandalf breathed. "Legolas Greenleaf."

Legolas wasted no time in telling the old wizard what was coming. "There is a second army. Bolg leads a force of Gundabad orcs. They are almost upon us."

"Gundabad," Gandalf said, understanding crossed his face. "This was their plan all along. Azog engages our forces, the Bolg sweeps in from the north."

"What?" Bilbo asked. "The north? Where is the north exactly?"

Gandalf regarded the hobbit for but a moment before he responded. "Ravenhill."

"Ravenhill?" Bilbo asked alarmed. "Thorin is up there. And Fili and Kili, they're all up there."

Tauriel's eyes filled with worry and alarm. "Miranda too?"

"Yes," Gandalf said gravely. Legolas's head shot up, eyes dark and anxious.

~*~ (Miranda's POV)

Thorin stood on the edge of Ravenhill, looking out into the fog.

"Where is he?" Kili asked. "It looks empty. I think Azog has fled." I heard the relief in his voice, but I knew this was not the case.

"I don't think so," Thorin replied. "Fili take your brother. Scout out the towers. Keep low and out of sight." The brothers nodded to their uncle.

"No!" I cried.

The dwarves stopped what they were doing. "No?" Thorin asked.

"You ignored my warnings last time. Please, do not send them out there." I said.

Thorin looked over my features, carefully assessing me. Then he nodded. "I trust you have a good reason. But we cannot wait here for them to come to us."

"I will go in their stead," I offered. He looked at me and nodded.

"Why can you go and not us?" Kili asked, anger and betrayal seeping into his words.

"Kili," I said, placing my hand on his shoulder. "I know you want to help your uncle, your king, but now is not the time." Then I leaned towards him and whispered in his ear. "Think of Tauriel." Kili looked at my features, then lowered his head in defeat. I nodded to the group and made my way through the tunnels of Ravenhill.