Prologue

***

"Lila, don't do this, please?" pagmamakaawa nito.

Marahan niyang hinawi ang kamay ng binata.

"Sorry, hindi ko pa pala talaga kayang mag-commit." Mahina siyang tumawa. "Magkikita pa naman siguro tayo. Someday, tatawanan na lang natin 'to," she said.

It sounded like an excuse but it pained her. The thought of him loving someone else.

Whoever she is, she's going to be a lucky one.

He will drive another girl anywhere. He will cook for her. He will gaze the night skies with her. He will take her on an incredible adventure. Because that's how he loves. No hesitations. No conditions. But she won't be that girl anymore.

"Pero baka iba na ang kasama mo," ika nito.

"Baka maunahan mo pa nga ako," she tried to joke but he didn't laugh.

They were standing there. The rain finally stopped. Everything dawned at them. The reality, what she chose to be.

"Aalis ka na talaga? Hindi na talaga kita mapipigilan?"

No, this is the right thing for us.

She shook her head and whispered, "I'm sorry." Her eyes drowning in tears.

"Lila, please-" he begged and begged.

She smiled for one last time. "The last few months have been a great escape."

And left the man who did nothing but to love her.

Thank you for the love you gave to me, an undeserving woman, your words were the sincerest, your kisses were the truest and you're my most painful goodbye.

In the highest point of her life,
she met the first person she thought of spending forever with.

But the person who used to look at her with delicateness turned out to be a monster.

Funny how hi and hello turned into sorry and goodbye.

She couldn't count the nights she denied herself the choice of leaving.

The things she refused to see and acknowledge,
poured all in one go, drowned her, suffocated her whole being.

Goodbye from the chains of yesterday's memories. Goodbye to the promised love.

The regretful chances she refused to choose herself.

In the lowest point of her life, she met the last person she never thought she would be needing.

***