32 The Aftermath

The Aftermath

Life goes on. Life will happen whether she wants to or not. The choice is hers. Kung magpapatangay ba siya sa agos o gagawa ng paraan para makaahon. The past few years weren't easy. Life is cruel and it proved her time and time again when Lila had her downfalls successively.

She met people. They left her. She met some more. This time, she knows when to let go. The time she had in Japan was not all wallows in the dark pits of an abyss. It was a journey, a hard one but worthwhile. If someone from today will meet her four years ago, they probably won't recognized her.

A loud knock awoke her from reverie. She felt groggy and tired. Naglakad siya para pagbuksan ang taong kumakatok habang inaayos ang robe sa katawan.

“Lila, why aren’t you dressed up yet?”

Napadilat siya. Bumungad sa kanya ang singkit nitong mga mata. Anong oras na ba? She massaged her head in hopes to get the headache away. Nilabas naman nito ang cellphone saka ipinakita sa kanya ang oras.

“Oh shit, Erick! Mele-late na ‘ko," bulalas niya kahit hindi naiintindihan ng lalaki.

“Give me a sec!” she added, closing her door and ran to the bathroom.

She picked up a white tank top, a nude slacks and her handy coat, paring it with her stilettos. She made a mental note to bring extra pair next business trip. O baka bumili na lamang siya ng bago as a souvenir and a gift to herself as well.

“I guess that’s it. It’s a done deal," Mr. Godoy said, smiling from ear to ear. Mr. Watanabe, a Japanese head of conglomerate shook hands with the huge Australian man. He apparently have loads of money to throw in an investment.

“It’s a pleasure doing business with you.”

Pati ang team nila ay masaya rin. Mr. Watanabe leaned and told her something. She relayed his message in an instant.

“And Mr. Watanabe wants to set a dinner together with the other clients," she said to Mr. Godoy. He signalled his assistant right away.

Lila has been one of Watanabe's interpreter for almost a year. She worked with a lot of people in the field. So far, she has been enjoying the job and the perks it brings. Watanabe always bring them along in every business trip he takes. The man is almost in his 60. He doesn't want to waste time learning himself a language. When he has tons of money to spend for interpreters.

“Lila, we’re gonna see around downtown. Do you wanna come?” It was Sora, one of Watanabe's secretary.

She nodded. “Sure! Let me get my stuff.”

Kasama sina Sora at Erick, binaybay nila ang Sydney habang may araw pa.

“It was always my dream to come here," she murmured, feasting her eyes through the serene skyline.

Napalingon siya at napatigil ang paghinga nang nasilayan ang pamilyar na likuran ng isang lalaki. The shape of his nape down to his broad shoulders, the stance and the demeanor. Her heart went wild for a second. Napapikit-pikit siya sa taong nakita.

“What’s wrong?” Erick asked when he saw her expression changed.

She shook her head. “Nothing. I’m just starving.”

Muli siyang bumaling sa gawing iyon. She sighed when he was gone. Was it really him? There's no way that it was him. She knew he was assigned here years ago but in different city. It's impossible that he would stay here.

Erick laughed a little. “Great. I just saw a good burger house few blocks away from here."

She wondered where he is and what he's doing. He's probably successful in his field too. He's born to soar high in the sky. She knew that too well. Masaya siya kung nasaan man ito. She's in the right place and that's all that matters to her now.