19 Inhibitions

Inhibitions

"Anong oras na ba dyan?" tanong niya.

"It's almost 7. We'll head out later and have a dinner together with mom and Eon," he replied, a little down.

Mukhang nasa higaan ito. His face is too close on the camera. Kung high-end lang sana ang phone niya, baka hindi blurry ang nakikita niya ngayon. Idagdag pa ang mahinang connection, napo-pause tuloy ang mukha nito sa screen.

He sighed. "I miss you. Sana di na lang ako sumama."

Tumawa siya. "Baliw. Mag-enjoy ka. Kasama mo kaya family mo."

"It's the same Italy, Lila. But if you're here, it would be different. Punta tayo dito sa susunod."

She only smiled on what he said. How can he be so sure of that? She can't help but be skeptical. Lila wished not to feel this way. Ewan has been nothing but a good man to her. As much as she can, she want to make sure she can reciprocate everything.

"Countdown na!" she exclaimed after hearing the pre-celebration outside.

"Let me see," he urged her.

"Happy new year..." bati niya dito habang pinag-mamasdan ang fireworks display sa kalangitan. He said something to her but the loud sound around the house and the whole neighborhood rendered her not to hear any of his words.

Another semester came. There are less subjects this time and more vacant for her. Even with the requirements doubled up, the nearing end, their graduation made her motivated. Ewan and her have been communicating constantly. He would call her every night and text her occasionally during the day. Her data usage has also doubled up this time. Hindi naman siya nagsisisi.

"Ano 'yan?" aniya nang inabot ni Ewan ang dala nitong box.

He came just in time. He’s weirdly sporting a beanie today. Is it a change of style? Tapos na ang last period niya sa umagang ito. Lila still can’t believe that Ewan is into her. She felt the need of having him to give a constant reminder that he really is courting her. But it sounded stupid and immature so she kept it to herself.

He smiled and said, "Macarons."

Binuksan niya ang box saka kumuha ng isa. She remembered the night she refused to take one. She took a big bite and savored the cookie on her mouth. Napatango-tango siya habang nginunguya ito.

"Masarap 'no?" he said, his eyes narrowing.

"Oo na." Napatawa siya.

"Sabi sa'yo eh."

Naglakad sila papalabas. They shared the macaroons strutting down the staircase and outside the building. Naalala niya na naman ang nangyari kanina lang. Buti na lang dumating si Ewan. Her mood instantly lifted when she saw his gleaming eyes.

"Ba't nakasimangot ka?" pagtataka nito.

She sighed. "Nakakainis 'yong prof namin. Surprise quiz tapos kalahati lang ang tama ko,” she vented out, almost pouting.

"That's too bad. Have some more." Inabot nito ang box. She got another and munched on it like some kind of animal while she continued talking.

"Tsaka ang pangit ng schedule ko! May 7AM ako do'n sa kabilang building tapos babalik na naman ako dito." She crossed her arms.

Napatingin siya dito. "Sorry, puro ba ako reklamo?" tanong niya.

Nakangiti itong umiling.

"Uhm... Magrereklamo din ako— 'yong coach namin pinag-pumping ako kahapon at kanina. Late kasi akong nagising. Eh ang dami ko pang tinatapos,” he started.