34 Rekindle

Rekindle

Tila dinuduyan siya sa saliw ng musika. Silang dalawa sa gitna.

The lights flickered as the time slows down synchronizing through their gentle sways. His grip tightened on her waist as if declaring her as his. Her arms on his shoulders. The familiarity, the comfortable warmth and the safeness that he always makes her feel. His strong angular face juxtaposing his soft stares from her eyes down to her lips. All of these sending bolts through her stomach.

He leaned in and whispered, "Lila, did you have any regrets?"

She smiled, a small one. Umiling siya dito.

"Honestly, no. I love where I am today."

It's true. Everything happened for a reason, she thought. Lila felt as if she's where she's supposed to be because of all the things that had happened in the past.

He breathed inwardly. "Then, it's good."

After the dinner and the little catching up, they decided to call it a night. Hinatid siya nito pauwi sa kanyang apartment.

"So can we go out again?" he asked when they got out of the car.

"Pag-iisipan ko."

It seems like it wasn't the answer he was expecting. Lila laughed in her head. Did he really think that she would just give in that easily?

"Don't think too much," he said and paused. "Think of me."

She snorted unbelievably. "You're not on your game anymore, Villavicencio."

He chuckled and held his nape. "Right. This isn't college anymore."

She bid him goodbye as he slid inside his car. He called her name again.

"Call me if you changed your mind," he said and drove away.

She might just really do that.

But she needed some time to assess her feelings towards him. What if this is just some lingering emotions she had back in college? Or just a nostalgic memory that she wanted to go back to.

Lila thought she had a great night with him. He changed and he did not. It's like he's the same person and he was also not at the same time. But it goes both ways as herself changed as well. Although some parts of her remained the same. Like how her eyes still quivers when he stares too much.

The truth is—there are so many questions left on her mind. A night wasn't enough to fill in the gaps. To know the answers, she invited him to the annual event inside SUN, Aliwan Week.

"Nagtagal talaga kayo no'ng ex mo?" she said nonchalantly. As if she wasn't dying to know the answer. Acting like it wasn't a big of a deal to ask.

"Si Raya? Almost a year din. But we ended things for good. Too many differences."

A year? That's quite a long time, she thought. She remembered the girl's name. His friends used to talk about this girl. Hindi niya tuloy maiwasang makaramdam ng kung ano. Jealousy? She hoped not.

"So sa tingin mo magtatagal tayo? O magbabago rin ang isip mo?"

He laughed. "You're always cornering me."

She shrugged. "Sinasabi ko lang. Life thought me to be tough, you know."

People walk past through them. Naglalakad sila sa kahabaan ng field. Along the isle were stalls of food and products sold by different org in the university. Sa di kalayuan ay may nangyayaring event. Some sort of music festival. Everything reminds her of college. The days she used to have with him.