35 Chances

Chances

"Kung hindi ba tayo naghiwalay noon, sa tingin mo magtatagal tayo?" he blurted out.

Along the busy streets, they walk side by side. He was holding her bag for her. It was champagne colored and he didn't mind clinging it on his shoulder. On her hand, she was holding the paper tray full of siomai.

Tinusok niya ang isa saka isinubo kay Ewan.

"This is good, huh? Twenty pesos lang ba talaga 'to?" anito habang nginguya ang pagkain.

Tumawa siya saka pinahiran ang sauce sa gilid ng bibig nito. "Sarap, diba?" sabi niya pa.

"Hindi mo pa sinasagot ang tanong ko."

Napaisip siya sandali. Would they last? She asked herself the same thing.

"Sa tingin ko... Hindi rin. I was always full of doubt and insecurities back then. Parati akong conscious sa lahat ng bagay." She shrugged.

"I think all of those would eventually backfire to the both of us."

He only nodded. They reached his car and he drove her home. Hinatid siya nito papasok. They were standing by the door. The last time he went here, he was dead drunk. Since that day, he hasn't been inside her apartment.

"Alam mo bang, pinagsisihan kong bumitaw noon?" he suddenly said.

She can see the melancholic gaze through his eyes. She would be lying if she says she didn't regret anything at all. Of course, he was something else as he always been to her.

And although the two of them are somehow trying to get back to a path that they have long separated from, still, hearing these words coming from him, hurts her.

"I always thought that it could work. If we could just give a little more effort. Pero hindi naman gano'n kadali."

He bitterly smiled.

"It was the right love in the wrong time kumbaga?"

He chuckled. "Nadali mo," he said. "Do you think this, the two of us meeting once again means something?"

"That this might be the right time?" he added as he held her hand. "Lila, can we give this a second chance?"

She was so closed to answering his question. Too close to give in. When his phone rang inside his pocket. Napakunot ang noo nito halatang inis.

"Sagutin mo na," she said.

He sighed and answered the call.

"Hello?"

He's frowning while listening the person on the other line. Who's he talking to? Binaba nito ang cellphone.

He looked dejected. "I need to go," he said but he doesn't look like he wants to go.

Napailing na lamang siya. She playfully pushed him. He slowly started walking one step after another acting like a lost puppy.

Napahalakhak siya saka sinabing, "I'd ring you three times, if it's a yes."

After that, he grinned crazily and snatch a peck on her lips. She almost smack him but she only ended up laughing hard on her stomach as he raced down the hall.