27 Fireflies & Falls

Fireflies and Falls

"Hindi mo naman sinabi na nandito pala ang buong pamilya mo," bulong niya dito.

Her heart is in her throat as her smile, somehow, turned into a grimace. There were more than 10 people in the room. Any minute now, she might really passed out.

Ewan chuckled softly beside her and said, "Don't worry. They'll like you."

"Good evening po..." bati niya sa kanila.

They eyed her for a moment. She felt greatly scrutinized. Napawi naman ang kanyang kaba nang ngumiti ang mga ito sa kanya.

A lady welcomed her. "Have you eaten yet? C'mon someone help Ewan's lady friend." Sinenyasan nito ang isang kasambahay na kumuha ng kubyertos.

"Sit here, hija," ika ng mommy ni Ewan saka iginiya siya papaupo sa dining table.

She looked for Ewan and she saw him smiling from ear to ear.

"Okay po. Thank you," sagot niya.

Buti na lang ay hindi pumunta ang Abuela ni Ewan. But his titas, titos and some family friends were enough to make her palms sweat in nervousness. Later, she finally felt comfortable. Lalo na nang mawala sa kanya ang atensyon. Surprisingly, they were welcoming and they didn't seem to mind her presence. Ewan's cousins helped a lot as well.

"Huwag kang mag-alala. Uuwi rin ang iba sa kanila," he said after the little dinner.

"Okay lang ba 'yong mga sagot ko kanina? Hindi ba halatang kabado ako? I'm sure ang awkward ko," nanlulumo niyang sabi.

He lifted her chin gently. "Hey... Hey... It's okay. You were doing fine."

"Kahit na 'no. Ang tanga ko. Dapat bukas na lang kita binati."

"And waste a surprise like this?"

She shook her head and pursed her lips.

"Ipapasyal kita sa orchard bukas," he said before someone called upon him from the inside.

Lumalim ang gabi. They stayed at the patio of the house. Pinihiram siya ni Jennie ng pampalit na mas makapal dahil sa lamig ng temperatura. She has a cup of warm milk on her hand. She rubbed her palms through it from time to time to feel the heat.

"Ang ganda dito... Tignan mo 'yong mga bituin."

Nakatunghay siya sa kalangitan. The stars shine brighter in the mountains where there are less people, pollution and blinding lights. Masaya niyang pinagmasdan ang mga bituin habang inisa-isa ni Ewan ang mga pangalan ng constellation. Tuwang-tuwa naman siya kahit mali-mali ang pinagsasabi nito.

He leaned in and muttured, "I have the brightest star beside me."

"Sira. Edi nasunog ka," she retorted and laughed.

She breath in the cold air and brushed her shoulders. She's glad that she came here. Bumaling siya sa binata.

"I was thinking..."

"Uhm? Ano 'yon?"

"What would it be like to know him, my father..." she trailed off.

It's been on her mind for quite some time. Although she feels like it's unfair to her mother that she's having thoughts like this. But it's been bothering her.

"Do you miss him? Gusto mo ba siyang makita?" he asked.

She fiddled on her fingers. "Hindi ko rin alam. How do you even miss someone whose never been present in your whole life?" Mapakla ang kanyang ngiti.