18 Restless

Restless

"Hello? Sino 'to?" Patrick answered on the other line.

"Si Lila 'to, Pat. Alam mo kung nasaan si Ewan?" tanong niya, hawak-hawak ang tanim na ibibigay niya kay Ewan.

She asked Shane for Patrick's number. Good thing, hindi pa pala nito nade-delete.

"Hindi eh. Ba't di mo tawagan? Wala ka bang number?" sagot nito.

"Uh... Ano kasi..." she trailed off.

She didn't know what to say. Gusto niyang kausapin si Ewan at ibigay ang regalo niya dito. But she didn't want to call him and risk ringing his phone three times. Just like what he said that night at the sem-ender party. There's a part inside of her that knows what she wants but there's also a part which remains uncertain. If only she could see him right now. Then, maybe she'll finally know the answer.

"Ah alam ko na. May surprise ka 'no?" Patrick chuckled.

"Huh? Ah oo!" she agreed, looking at the plant she's holding.

"Teka, tatanungin ko. Ite-text ko na lang sa'yo."

"Sige."

"Tsaka, Lila. Pakisabi kay Shane na... Ah wala. Kalimutan mo na lang." He laughed a little.

She sighed. "Sabihin mo sa kanya ng harapan."

He paused before saying, "Tama ka. I'll do that." She hang up after.

Lila paced back and forth. Patrick already sent her the address. Mukhang wala pala ito sa kanila. She would've made a fool out of herself if she went to their house. This feels like a desperate move, she thought. Pero ibibigay niya lang naman ang regalo niya dito. It's like delivering something to a client.

She will give him the gift and thank him for the book. Maybe, they'll talk about that pre-school picture for a little. She'll say her goodbyes and then she will go home. It will be fine, she thought. But her leaping heart and her shambling brain is saying otherwise.

Naisip niya na baka next year niya na lang ibibigay ang tanim. Pwede naman 'yon. But a taxi stopped in front of her. Naghintay ito nang ilang sandali at bumusina. In the end, she went inside and told the driver the address. It's now or never.

The taxi stopped by a huge building. Tinignan niya ulit kung tama ba ang address na ito. Malapit lang pala, sa isip niya. She pressed the elevator and waited for the right floor. Every second the muscle on her chest beats faster and faster. Is the plant too obnoxious? Is it too overboard? Dapat siguro iba na lang ang ibigay niya. She should've bought an actual gift instead of this spare plant in their backyard. She pursed her lips as the elevator slid open. Agad niyang hinanap ang unit nito.

"Lila, anong ginagawa mo dito?" He looked surprised when he opened the door.

She was tongue-tied especially when she saw his naked torso. Ano nga ba ang sasabihin niya? Hello, regalo mo oh. But that sounds so wrong. Instead she put down the plant and pulled out her phone. She dialed his number. Nalilito ang lalaking kinuha ang cellphone. He stared at it.

Isa... Dalawa... Tatlo...

Lila gulped, the phone on her hand. She pressed cancel after the third ring. Both of them stared in each others eyes. Slowly Ewan's lips formed a curve.

"Come here..." he said and gestured her to come over.

He pulled her in his arms. She laughed in his embrace, a little embarrassed. Biglang nag-init ang mukha niya nang mapagtantong wala pala itong suot na pang-itaas. Agad siyang bumitiw.