Chapter 23

Why can't I remember anything! I pace back and fourth till the metal box grinds to a halt causing me to fall...once again. I hear muffled voices of boys? Someone yanks open the gates. Sunshine invades my eyes. Causing me to be temporarily blinded. I hear and feel a thud.

"It's a girl," I hear a British boy say.

"Really?"

"Is she hot?"

"Dibs!"

"Why is there a shucking girl?"

"Is she dead?"

I blink a few times. I notice a lot of boys crowded around us. Panic over takes me. I grab a case of oranges and run over to a tower looking ish thing.

I hear people talking really slow. I sit at the top. Everything goes back to normal speed. What?

"How did she get up there," I hear a voice.

"She's definitely not dead!"

"Alby!" I hear another boy. A see a dark skined boy...man..teen I don't know walk over to the box I came in. Some boys race over to me. I grab an orange and chuck it blindly at the crowd.

"I don't think she likes us,"I hear the British boy. I chuck another orange and hear the thud of a body.

"Ya think shuckface."

Some run away while others grab pieces of wood to use as shields...shields? Why does that word seem so oddly fimilar.

"The new greenbean is a she!" I hear a boy say. I grab another orange and chuck it. I hide behind the railing once again.

"Ow!"

I start laughing. I hear more voices.

"Did she just laugh?"

"GO AWAY!" I yell. And chuck five fruit at a time.

"And she has a nice arm," I hear another.

"How'd she get over there," I hear Alby(?)say.

I hear people start to climb up the ladder.

"Hurry up," a hear a voice.

"Not like she can go anywhere," I hear another voice. HOW MANY PEOPLE OR ER GUYS ARE HERE!

On instinct I jump over the railing and land in the grass. I start sprinting (Not superspeed) across the field. I hear screams and protests .

"We've got a runner!" and a few people laugh. That's it everyone here is mad. They're all mad here.

Soon something hits the back off my head and I black out.

Jack's POV

Her body thrashes around...almost has if she's trying to run. Her arms start 'throwing' air...wherever she is I hope she's okay.

Ren's POV

Light invades my eyelids as I open them. Where am I? It looks like a concrete box. A little window with bars on it is to my right. I look forward and see a wooden door.

I sit up on my forearms. The back of my head hurts like crazy. My hand feels the back of my head. I feel a sticky substance. I'M NOT BLEEDING AM I?

I bring my fingers to my mouth...without looking...smart right? Oranges. I jump to my feet and shout through the windows.

"WHOEVER CHUCKED AN ORANGE AT ME IS GOING TO GET A FIST TO THE FACE,"I yell to no one in particular. Cause I don't know a single soul in this gosh dang place!

"She's awake," I hear someone yell. Oh I'm awake all right. Soon I hear keys jangle and the lock undone. As soon as that door is open two boys rush in and grab my arms.

"Come on greenie," one of the boys say. They grab my arms and I try to fight them.

"Let go," I say through gritted teeth.

The second speaks,"We're just going to have a gathering."

I stop struggling,"Whats a gathering."

"Just so we can decide what to do with you," the other says.

"Why didn't you say so," I stop struggling. The boys give a curious looks.

"I won't run, I swear," I say truthfully. They let go. I follow them till we get to this building made of sticks, twigs, and other array of wood.

I sit in a chair facing everyone. They're all chatting and yelling what to do with me.

Alby stands up and everyone shuts up.

"So our new greenie this time was a girl, what do you think we should do with her. Obviously the creators are giving us a sign," Alby says.

"Maybe they thought we were going to be here a while and maybe they ment her for a little company," A boy with eyebrows says.

That ticked me off. I started to slip off my shoe and then the British boy grabs my hands before I could throw it.

"ALL I KNOW IS THAT'S NOT THE REASON," I yell struggling to get out of the boys grasp. I narrow my eyes at eyebrows and hiss...like a cat. How do I remeber a cat but not my stinking name. The boys laugh start at me. I yank out of the grasp and bolt out of the building and look around this place.

I run straight to an opening in the concrete walls. Someone tackles me to the ground. I get a mouth of dirt and grass in my mouth. I turn over to face the blonde haired boy again. He pins my arms above my head and straddles me so I don't escape. I try kicking him off.

"Let me go," I hiss.

"The doors are going to be closing soon, you'll be dead in five minutes out in the maze at night," he says back.

"Maze," I mumble something about that word triggers some thoughts...or memories...sorta. I'm trying to remember, but it's all foggy.

"Where am I," I ask. His face smiles.

"Welcome to the glade," he says. A rumble scares the living crap out of me. I bend my head back and see the walls (upside down) closing.

"That would've been you in between those two walls, as a pancake," he says.

I nod my head towards him, "What's your name."

"Newt," he says.

"Well, Newt...get off me," I say sternly. He doesn't so I shove him off with my legs and stand up dusting myself off.

"What about you greenie, what's your name," he says also standing.

"That's the thing, I can't remember anything."