Chapter 42

I sit in my tree on the tallest branch possible. I watch everyone works. Just sitting there, watching. Not worrying about anything that's happened. Not the tears, nightmarish knock out, regenerative healing factor thing, nothing...just a blank mind. Staring at the grass. Listening to the voices of everyone.

Ren, I don't have much time...DON'T WHATEVER YOU DO DO NOT GO NEAR NEWT! STAY AWAY! OKAY? CONFIRM SO I KNOW YOU HEARD! Jack's voice fills my head.

Okay...why? Are you okay?

REN JUST DO IT OKAY DON'T LET- his voice get's cut off. What's happening?

Jack? JACK WHAT HAPPENED?

No answer. Just silence. A single tear falls down my face. I'm alone. What did he mean by 'stay away'? I mean he's my boyfriend...how am I supposed to stay away. I can't do that or he'll think I hate him or something. I can't break up with him I-I love him...yes, the L word. Not Leprosy, not Lyme disease, or Lice...Love. [Ice age reference]

I'm shucked. I-I can't. Just...I'll sit here not moving. Till night to get food then leave and climb back...good idea self.

When night finally came...it came to soon. Slowly I climb down the tree to the forest floor. The chill of the night makes me shiver. Just...go get food then come back. Get food come back.

I continue to repeat this as I walk over to the kitchen. I sneak into it and start going through the fridge. At least no one is here.

Someone clears throat. I look up orange in my mouth to see Newt arms crossed. The orange drops from my mouth to the floor and roles away. I shut the fridge slowly. We stare at each other. His eyes say 'don't run'.

Quickly I turn around and run the other way. He grabs my waist before I could run any farther. I go super speed and run out of his arms, and out the door into the glade. I slow down. The glade looks beautiful at midnight. I'm halfway through the grass to the forest when I'm tackled to the ground.

I squirm to face Newt. He straddles me and pins my arms above my head. I hiss, struggle, and swear trying to get away.

"Let me go,"I say through gritted teeth.

"Ren, what's wrong? You've been avoiding everyone today!" He says. I go superspeed and escape running to the forest. I run to the lakeside.

I break down right then and there, crying. Nothing was right. Someone wraps their arms around me. Knowing it's Newt I bury my face into his chest and cry.

"Ren are you okay?"

"I just," I sniffle, "am a little emotional."

"Oh...oh." He says thinking I'm talking about...something else. I roll my eyes.

"Not that shuck face," I say hitting him. I look up tears falling. He wipes them away with his thumb and looks at me.

"Ren, what's wrong," he asks once again.

"Just,"I sigh, "Things don't make any sense, and getting out of here is stressful...it's just. I wanna help I really do, but I won't go out there to the maze...not again." he rubs my back.

"It's okay Ren, we all break at some point," he says.

"You haven't," I say wiping my nose.

"I did," he says looking at the ground. Tears in his eyes.

"Hey, it's okay...you just have to pick yourself back up," I say standing up.

"What are you doing," he asks.

"Swimming," I answer running into the lake.

"Why is it that you're always in the water," he asks chuckling. I shrug and dive in.

I open my eyes in the water, expecting black water. But something else is here.

A/N

Sorry for short chapter!