Chapter 44

I practice with my sword after Minho left. Against a poor defenseless tree. Same pattern of swift movements again and again. Practicing to take a life. Loki's. Sounds dark? Yeah well he took most of my family away. And placed me somewhere that messed with my emotions. Gave me more fears...fears that I need to over come. Never again. Never again will he harm me.

"Ren, I know you're here," I hear Newt's voice. I stop.

"Bracelet," I whisper. Quickly the sword changes. I hide behind the tree, in the shadows.

"Kat? Come on...we need to talk," he begs. It breaks my heart I can't run to him...right now. To wrap my arms around his neck. But less people to get attached to...less harm.

You're already attached don't lie to yourself, part of me says.

The way he smiles, his accent, the way he hugs you- STOP I need to let go...

"Don't make me come and find you," I hear his voice yell.

I peer around the tree to look at him on the other side of the lake...only to see he's not there. I go back to hiding. Someone puts a hand over my mouth.

"Found you," he whispers. I yank off his hand. I stand up and start walking away.

"Ren," he pleads, "Talk to me."

"Fine, leave me alone so I don't hurt you," I say.

"You won't hurt me," he says.

"Obviously, but someone will...someone who will come for me," I reply.

"What are you talking about," he asks.

I sigh, "I do think I should explain...just...make it easier and leave me alone."

"Are you mad about earlier, because I'm sorry I called you a child and I have no clue what going on with you so-"

"Exactly Newt, you don't know what's going on with my life...I don't...but all I know is that, I don't belong here."

"None of us belong here."

"But for a different reason Newt! I just....need time to figure things out before...bad things happen."

"Ren what bad things?" He asks. Worry written all over his face. He walks over and places two hands on my shoulders.

I stare at the ground, "It's... I can't tell you Newt! M'kay so leave it alone! Bad things are going to happen...I don't know when or how but soon...because soon everything is going to change okay." Mental high five for using book quote in book, then reality smacks my face. Right, important things...that are confusing.

"You're making no sense," he says.

"Not the first time," I mutter, "It would just be better if you...we...say good-bye Newt...I don't want to but I don't wanna get you hurt anymore than I have by pretty much messing with your feelings."

"Katherine, please explain,"he begs...once again.

"Fine..." I reply irritated, "You wanna know. Okay my name was and is Katherine Barnes, I was thirteen..." I continue explaining my life story up to the point where I got into the maze. Maybe explaining my life story wasn't a good idea.