Chapter 40

After hours or days...maybe weeks...I don't know...finally I saw a dot of light. Like a spotlight in the darkness. Almost as if someone poked a hole in this ever lasting dome of night. I crawl over to the light.

Soon I'm face to face with it. My fingers trace the outline of the tiny circle no bigger than a quarter. The black crumbles away at my touch. My hand shoots back. I back away terrified.

Nothing else happens. So I slowly crawl back over to the wall. My fingers trace another outline of the ever growing circle. A smile spreads across my face. My hand goes into a fist pounding against the wall.

More and more light break into the darkness. Soon the whole wall falls blinding me.

My eyes adjust to notice I'm in the med-jack room. I shot straight up breathing as if I was held under water for a long time.

I frantically look around where I am. Touching everything making sure it's real.

"Ren! REn! Ren you're okay!" Newt tries getting my attention as I start sobbing uncontrollably. I finally notice him and start holding his face. My palms feeling his cheeks.

"You're here you're here," I repeat sobbing.

"I'm here, Ren I'm here," My arms wrap around his neck as I sob into his shirt. He strokes my hair trying to calm me down.

"I thought I was trapped Newt! I was so scared...I thought I would be gone...or that you left me or-or-"

"Shh..its okay...I'm here now and I will never leave you...never," he says. I stop sobbing as silver tears streak my face.

We stay this way for 15 minutes just sitting...silence. Neither one of us dare to speak.

"What am I?" I whisper. Newt looks at me, worry written all over his face.

"Kat...what happened..."
I stare at the floor recalling the terrible nightmare that was my mind...fears dragging me away to forever in darkness.

"Kathy...what happened," Newt asks in a whisper. I shake my head. My hands go to my ears as I shut my eyes, vigorously shaking my head.

"no...No...NO!" I scream. As the darkness tries to take me back once more. The hands grip my arms.

"REN!" Newt screams, "IT'S OKAY! ITS NOT REAL!"

I open my eyes to Newt I try to speak only to stutter, "I-I-m-I c-ccan't Newt...it was horrible..." I continue to explain everything. From Jack and the dreams to my nightmare of my mind trap. As I finish he stares at me.

"Newt," I whisper, "Thanks."

"Why's that?"

"For not leaving me...even when I was spazzing in my sleep and found out I'm a freak." he grasps my hands.

"Kathrine...Katherine look at me... I won't leave you. And NEVER I mean NEVER say lies like you're a freak. I would hate to see someone so...perfect call themselves that ." Newt says. I nod my head. My tears stop flowing. He smiles.

"You're my little solider and soldiers stand strong..." he says looking me in the eyes. I smile back. His lips connect with mine.

"Ugh get a room," I hear Chuck's voice. I turn around to look at Chuck, who's in the doorway.

"Be careful what you say Chuck, we don't want little Newt's and Ren's running around the glade do we?" Minho says walking up.

I open my arms as Chuck runs to me. I hug him. Then Minho walks up to me.

"You are such a liar, I'm fine you said, yep totally fine to be knocked out," he says mocking my voice. I hug him and he hugs back.

"We got a new greenie," I hear Chuck.

I jump up from the med bed, "HAHA YES!" I yell...getting weird looks from everyone.

"I'm not greenie anymore," I explain. Newt comes up and stands behind me, wrapping his hands around my waist. Since I am like 5' 2" he's taller than I, so he uses my head as a headrest.

"We have to call a gathering, be back later," Newt says informing Minho and I. I nod and kiss his cheek.

He slips away and leaves to go call a gathering with Minho. Chuck grabs my hand.

"Come on you need to meet the greenie," Chuck says.

"Okay, but if I say something that's not true...just following along okay," I say smirking. Happy even though I just had a traumatic experience.

We found the greenie( who had yet to learn his name) under the tree.

"You must be the new greenie," I say shocking him. He looks at me confused.

"Why are yo-"

"The only girl, I have no clue," I lie, "Lucy." I hold out a hand for him to shake.

"Greenie," he replies and shakes my hand, "Nice name."

"Thanks short for Lucifer." Thomas looks scared. I then make gurgling and unnatural sounds. Then Chuck bursts out laughing.

"Sorry," I say wiping a SILVER tear that came out of my eye. Thomas notices (obviously ) but doesn't say anything. "Couldn't help myself. What do you think of hell- I mean the Glade or the people?"

"Uh...Gally is pretty mean," he says.

"That's my boyfriend you're talking about," I say acting offended.

"OH! Uh...sorry I didn't-" I start laughing once again.

"Couldn't help myself, he's not my boyfriend Newt is."

"Don't listen to her she's insane," Chuck says.

"Um...okay I might be a little crazy, but not insane," I reply.

"That's debatable," Chuck says. I roll my eyes and stand up.

"Well, I'm going to go get changed, byez my friends." I say standing up.

.•*•.•*•.

I pull out the box and search for my tee shirt and leggings. I finally find them.

"Ahha!" I exclaim holding them in the air.

I quickly strip of the peach dress and throw it onto the bed. I slip into my leggings when Newt walks in.

"What the!" I say covering my chest with the shirt.

"Oh...um...erm," Newt starts blushing just standing there. I grab the dress and chuck it at him.

"OUT!" I scream. He quickly shuts the door. I shove the shirt on and walk to the door.

I walk outside to see Newt standing by the door. I whack his head.

"Never...walk in without knocking," I warn pointing a finger at him.

"It's my bloody room," he says laughing.

"It's our bloody room," I correct. His face lights up. Then looks confused.

"Are you inviting yourself into moving into my room."

"If I do recall three weeks ago you invited me to share your room," I sigh dramatically," Unless, my Romeo doesn't want to be with me anymore." I put the back of my hand on my forehead and look into the distances.

"Come on," he says dragging my arm.

"Where," I ask.

"Dinner," he says as I groan.

"But there's people there...and I wanna be anti-social!"I whine. He rolls his eyes at my childish behavior.