Chapter 2

"Hi, what can I get for you today," George says sweetly at two girls at the bar.

They giggled. "Two old fashioned please."

George smiles at them as he turns around to prepare their drinks, making a mental note to place it on their tab later on.

Although George may seem all happy and sweet, he's actually tired as fuck. It was about 2am and he's been working since 6pm. He had told his manager that he's willing to take some overnight shifts, which he highly regrets.

But he has bills to pay, so he has to just suck it up.

George places a large pre-shaved ice cube and pours the drink into two fancy glass cups. He then tops it off with a thin slice of orange and a cherry.

"Enjoy," he smiles as he slides the drinks to the girls.

Not even a second later, he hears a bell and he hurries over.

George freezes as he sees a group of males standing at the bar, all conversing with each other. A couple of them look familiar.

Shit.

He walks over, "What can I get for you?"

"I'll get a-" the man stops talking midway before scowling. "Aren't you the kid who tried pickpocketing me?"

"W-what?" He feigns innocence.

"You are!" The man slams his hand onto the bar table, starting other customers. "I can still see the bruises on your face!"

"L-listen, I don't know what you're taking abo-"

Then he gets punched in the face.

He falls to the ground, hand clutching at his nose that was bleeding.

"Fuck," George curses.

His manager and some of the other bartenders hurried to his side. He spots his manager listening to the screaming man.

"You good, buddy?" His coworker, Nick, helps him up and brings him to the back.

"Yeah if getting punched in the face means good," George replied sarcastically as he pinches the bridge of his nose and tilts his head up.

"What was that about?" Nick questions. "You didn't anger a customer did you?"

"Uhh, sort of."

Nick only looks at him expectantly.

"Look, I sort of pissed him off on the streets the other day and he's still pissed."

"The fuck did you do to make him that pissed?"

George doesn't reply. He can't just admit how he pickpockets for his coworker.

After a few moments of silence, his manager walks into the work room.

"Nick, please return to your station." His manager turns to George. "We need to talk."

The two walk into his office and his manager sighs.

"George, did you try to mug him the other night?"

"I didn't mug him..." he murmurs.

His manager cocks an eyebrow.

"Okay, I didn't mug him, but I tried pickpocketing," George admits.

"You know I'll have to fire you, right?"

George widens his eyes. "What? You can't- I need this job!"

"I'm sorry," his manager shakes his head sadly. "I'm sure you'll find a new job."

George stumbles. He's actually losing his job. Because of some asshole.

"I'll write your paycheck now." His manager walks to his table and takes out a checkbook.

Like that was supposed to make him feel better.

His manager hands over his check. "Well, good luck to you in the future. I wish I didn't have to."

"Thanks," George takes the check and leaves.

He decided to take a stroll. He needed a breather.

He just had enough for rent. He could walk home everyday, even though it'd take him half an hour or so, and he could eat McDonald's once a day.

But what about his grandma's hospital bill? It's bound to come in soon. Maybe he could convince his landlord to give him more time? But he's always late with his payment.

As he crosses a street, a car honks at him and he was about to throw a finger at the stranger but realizes that it wasn't a stranger.

It was Clay from a few nights ago.

"Need a ride?" Clay shouts as he rolls down his window.

George accepts it wordlessly.

"Rough night?" Clay asks as George gets into the car.

"I got fired actually," George says bitterly.

"Oh shit," Clay's eyes widens. "What happened?"

"The guy I pickpocketed visited my bar and called me out."

"Damn, I guess karma is real."

"Shut up."

"I'm sorry," Clay makes a turn. "You got another job in mind?"

"No, but I'll need to think of one ASAP."

"Hmm," Clay hums as he thinks. "I have a job offer for you actually."

George turns towards him. "Wait really?"

"Well I don't but my company probably does."

"What company?"

Clay hesitates. "Well, you'll see, if you're interested."

"How the hell am I supposed to apply if I don't even know what company it is."

The car stops. They've arrived at George's shitty apartment.

The young man turns to him. "Be here at 11am tomorrow, I'll pick you up."

"Uhm, okay I guess..."

Clay smiles. "Awesome, I'll see you tomorrow then. Goodnight George, make sure to ice your face." He winks.

George rolls his eyes. "Bye."