Chapter 23

"Whatcha looking at?" Clay asks, craning his head over George's shoulder.

Both men were sitting side by side on their bed. George was scrolling on his phone and Clay was on his laptop doing something.

"Just twitter," he replies, still scrolling. Then an ad caught his eyes and he stopped. He ended up clicking on it which redirected him to a website.

It was an ad for a cat cafe that was about a twenty minute drive.

"I didn't know you like cats," Clay comments, an idea forming in his head.

"I used to have a cat when I was older. My parents adopted an old cat from the shelter when I was younger," George shrugs.

"Wanna go to the cat cafe then?"

"Actually?" George looks up.

"Yes."

"Bet," George grins before dashing off into the walk in closet to grab a change of clothes.

-

When they entered the cafe, they were met with a vocal black cat, weaving between their legs, meowing at them.

"Hi," George coos as he crouches down, petting the cat. "Are you here to greet us?"

"Hello, welcome to Lucky Cat Cafe," a young lady greets them smiling before explaining the rules. "Let me know if you have any questions," she says before leaving back to her post near the door.

They took a seat at a table. The same black cat jumping onto the chair besides George meowing at him.

"I think he likes you," Clay points out as he strokes a calico that had leaped into his laps.

"He's a very friendly cat," George smiles, carrying the cat in his arms. "He's such a baby."

The calico in Clay's lap leapt away after getting bored of Clay's petting. The blonde stood up. "What do you want from the cafe?"

"Hmm," George continues to pet the black cat in his arms. "Can I get a strawberry banana smoothie?"

"Of course," he says before walking away.

George lifted the slender cat into the air, it's long body hanging in the air. The cat blinked his green eyes before meowing loudly at him, tail flicking in the air.

Clay comes back, sipping on his lemonade, straw in his mouth. He places and slides George's drink towards him. George places the cat back onto his lap and the cat meows at him before leaping off and padding towards another table.

"Aw, Loki just left me," George pouts as he sips on his smoothie.

"Loki?" Clay cocks his head.

"Yeah," George stares distantly at the black cat that's now being petted by a young girl and his family.

After an hour of petting and playing with the cats, Clay was getting a bit tired and hungry, despite the snacks they have gotten from the cafe.

"Come on George, let's go," he yawns.

George was still sitting on the floor of the lounge, playing with "Loki" with a cat toy.

"We have to go now?" George asks as he continues lifting the stick that had a feather attached at the end. The black cat leaped at it, missing and landing on the ground before leaping the other way, tail flickering and eyes narrowed. George giggled.

"We've been here for almost two hours George."

"One more minute," George looks up at him with pleading eyes.

"You said that half an hour ago." Clay sighs, unable to refuse his cute boyfriend. "But fine, one more minute."

After that minute was gone, George kept his promise this time, standing up and leaning against Clay, almost sadly.

"Bye, Loki," George mumbled.

As if he understood, the black cat meows loudly again before bounding off to one of the cat towers, sharpening his claws.

"We should come back here again," George says as they made their way back to Clay's car.

"We could," Clay nods. "Just not later tonight."

"The cafe isn't open at night, idiot," George rolled his eyes. "Tomorrow?"

"If we have time, sure," Clay smiles, agreeing.

As he drove home, he couldn't help but notice George staring at the window longingly. He probably misses Loki. Maybe he could just adopt Loki. That would make George happy, wouldn't it? Besides, his house has been void of pets since he has gotten the place. He and George could use some extra company.

Clay stops at a red light, pulling out his phone and starts texting. George notices before pushing him gently on the shoulder.

"Hey," George scolds. "Eyes on the road."

Clay types the last few words in the sentence before putting his phone away. "Okay, okay, chill." The light had just turned green again.

George rolled his eyes. "I'm worried that one day you're going to crash your car."