Chapter 26

The high pitched ring of his cell phone wakes George from his slumber. He groans as he sits up, rubbing at his eyes as he grabs his phone from the night desk. Clay was still snoring besides him.

It was strange for him to get a call, since he never gets anyway. He hurries his way out of the bedroom, limping slightly from last night's activities, and into the living room so that he doesn't bother Clay's sleep. Loki was curled up in the nest compartment of his cat tower, unbothered by his surroundings.

"Hello?" He yawns, eyes closed.

"Hello, this is OFL Hospital. May we speak to George?"

He immediately opens his eyes, panic rising. "Y-yes, that's me."

...

After the call, George runs to his bedroom, turning on the lights, which Clay groaned at. He shakes his boyfriend to wake him. "CLAY!" George shouts panic stricken.

"Huh? What?" The blonde sits up, rubbing his eyes. "Isn't it like, I don't know, three AM?"

"We need to go to the hospital right now!"

"Huh? What happened?" Clay widens his eyes getting up from bed.

"My grandma," George explains. "Her condition got worse."

George explained everything to Clay during the car ride. "They said she's in critical condition," he looks sullenly out the window. "Her treatment wasn't going well in the first place and... she suddenly had a cardiac arrest in the middle of the night."

"She's probably not going to make it," George whispers, voice breaking.

"Everything will be okay, George," Clay says comfortingly. He steps on the gas.

-

George bursts into the room, eyes wide. "Grandma?" He kneels down onto the floor beside the bed, his hand reaching for her's. She laid unconscious and unmoving on her bed. The heart monitor beeping softly. The doctors and nurses move out of the way for George to have his moment with her.

"Hey, grandma," George smiles, even if she couldn't see him. "You know I love you a lot right? You were there for me when my parents weren't." Tears pricked in his eyes.

"You were right when you said you weren't going to make it to my graduation because I wasn't in school in the first place," he confesses, voice getting softer by the second. "I'm so sorry for lying," George shakes, his voice cracking. "I just didn't want you to feel guilty or to worry about me. I'm so sorry. I still need you."

Then, the heart monitor starts beeping loudly erratically. George looked at the screen, shocked. The line was flat.

"Perform CPR!" A doctor shouts as the nurses rush to her side.

Clay pulls him up so he doesn't get in the way of the doctors. He pulls a wide-eyed, frozen George into a hug, embracing him like he was to protect him from the cruel world.

After a few dreadful minutes, the doctor turns to the two, eyes sad. "I'm sorry."

Immediately, George buries his face into Clay's chest, sobbing uncontrollably.

She was dead. And there was nothing he could do about it. He could never tell her the truth. He will never see her bright smile ever again. He will never be able ask her for advice.

And he'll never be able to apologize to her.

-

A couple weeks later, the funeral was held for his grandma. They arrived, George teary-eyed with Clay comforting him as best as he could, but nothing can bring someone back from death's grasp.

He can feel the judgemental stares of his relatives at them but he ignored them. He didn't care because his grandma was the most important in his life. It didn't matter that the rest of his family didn't accept him. All that mattered was that his grandma did.

After the ceremony, he walks up to the coffin that his grandma laid in. She looked peaceful, finally free from the pain and her chronic disease.

"Hi, grandma," George says softly, smiling, despite the tear that flowed down his cheeks. "I hope that you have finally found peace. I know you want me to be happy so I'll find that happiness you wanted me to have for so long."

He leaned into his boyfriend who stood close to him. "Actually, I think I found my happiness," George took a quick glance at Clay. "Again, I'm so sorry for lying to you. I hope you can forgive me."

He had forgotten to get her flowers from his previous hospital visits. So George places a rose in the coffin, laying it next to her.

"I miss you so much," George's voice cracks.