The Cut That Always Bleeds~51

-
If you knew the damage that I did?
-

As Jeongin's words rushed through Rin's ears, a silent gasp echoed from her lips, and with that vicious intake of air came a surge of shock

As Jeongin's words rushed through Rin's ears, a silent gasp echoed from her lips, and with that vicious intake of air came a surge of shock. Her breath seemed engaged within her lungs, almost as if the clammy, sticky lump that had formed in her throat was suffocating her, blocking her windpipe.

Her intestines lurched violently within her, and she felt the sharp blade of anxiety stab into her stomach, twisting tantalizingly as Jeongin's words replayed in her mind like a broken record; she was terrified for him.

Sharing similar feelings with her brother, the girl couldn't afford to loose Jeongin again, for she knew that she wouldn't be able to mourn his death twice.

Her sweat was freezing as it slithered down her neck, sending chills up her spine line a fragment of an ice burg, yet she was barely aware of it she stared at the back of Jeongin's head.

She could see part of his face, and it was contorted with intensity, solemnity seeping through his dark, voided eyes as he glared at Changbin, arms remaining outstretched.

His lips were compressed together with a business-like seriousness- as if asking your acquaintance to murder you was just a minor ordeal and had little value to him, which caused a sharp pain to rive through Rin's heart.

Scarcely understanding that she was moving, the girl shifted forwards, unable to wait for Changbin's decision, arm outstretching as she began to reach for her brother. Itching to pull him away from danger, the girl was prepared to shove him out of the way and take a bullet instead if she had to, yet her actions were mindless; she had no specific intentions, but she just wanted him safe.

Before Rin's fingertips could graze Jeongin's hoodie, Chenle's hand clasped over her forearm, other arm still grasping his weapon, and he eased her back into her former position- eyes never peeling away from Changbin as his gun remained in hand.

Rin's head snapped towards the deadpan boy, eyes slightly crazed with concern as she tried to search for a reason to stop her action.

"Let him," Chenle murmured, his voice barely audible over the pounding of her heart.

She wanted to argue; she wanted to scream that she wasn't going to let her brother get shot for her, yet something in his vast orbs for eyes made her refrain, hesitating a moment too long.

"What the fuck are you doing?" Changbin mumbled through gritted teeth, knuckles white.

Jeongin's Adam's Apple bobbed subtly before his dark, remorseless gaze bore into Changbin, emitting stubbornness as he boldly stood in front of the soulmates.

"I can't let you kill my sister," Jeongin insisted, erratic heart speeding.

Changbin's lips pursed together, lips twitching with annoyance as he glared at the younger, almost as if he was cruelly scolding him through his eyes. Rage curled his lips into a poorly-restrained scowl, hatred seeping through every fiber of his being as he ran a tongue along the inside of his cheek.

"Then let's kill everyone except for the runt, hm?" He spat, hostility punctuating every syllable.

Chan shrugged passively, clearly finding this situation boring as his eyes drooped, rolling his eyes as impatience caused his foot to tap.

"That's fine, just hurry the fuck up," Chan persisted, checking his watch. "Chenle's our main target anywa-"

"About that."

Chenle's voice suddenly rang through the air, utterly monotone as nearly all eyes fell to the gang leader- NCT Dream and Stray Kids alike. Within his nearly unreadable eyes shone a small glimmer of emotion, but Rin couldn't tell it's it was triumph or concern, considering the situation.

"I'm her soulmate, so if I die, she dies," He curtly explained, voice careless as he seemed to shrug it off- acting as if the loss of their lives was just a minor setback.

Chan froze, blinking blankly at the boy as Chenle's words processed in his mind, dread already seeping through his expression. His jaw clenched in thought, index finger raised pointlessly as he glared at Chenle with excruciated eyes, eyebrows furrowed in resentment.

Hand suddenly clenching into a fist, Chan's ravaging stare intensified as he frantically tried to think up away around this, yet nothing came to mind.

If he was honest, Chan had never had an assassination attempt go this way; no one was actively fighting, there were no pleads for mercy, and the rapid blasting of gunshots wasn't roaring over his thoughts, for everyone just seemed... stuck.

As if everyone was immobilized into a permanent check in a complicated game of chess, there were numerous options to choose to get out of danger, yet each offered a risk, a risk that Chan wasn't enjoying.

If he ordered Changbin to kill Chenle, he would need to kill Jeongin first, with the collateral damage of the loss of Rin's life. However, three deaths wouldn't be enough; NCT Dream's entire gang was armed and ready to attack Stray Kids, and in any gunfight, someone was going to get injured- or die.

If he called off the hit, then Stray Kids would obtain a reputation for being weak for backing down from a fight, and hierarchy was very important in the world of mafias.

If you were respected, you'd be feared; no one would try to attack your gang for credit. If you weren't, you were to expect vigorous attempts on the gang's life constantly. Besides, the more merit a gang had, the more powerful, and the more power, a gang would have more strength against rivals, not to mention numerous resources and control over everyone.

With a tarnished reputation, Stray Kids would have to desperately try to climb the ranks once again, which would be a very trying task. Simply, they wouldn't be able to get a break, and would be consumed by work.

However, if they called it all off, there was still a chance that NCT Dream would attack Stray Kids, even if the rivaling gang had lowered their weapons.

In short, one choice was to loose Jeongin, Rin, Chenle, and unpredictably various gang members on both sides in a gunfight- with the chance of walking into a suicide mission. But, Chan's gang could obtain merit and have a huge power boost from defeating the great, relentless NCT Dream- if they survived.

The other choice was to risk Stray Kids lives, and loose respect and power, which could also get them killed. However, there was a chance that everyone could walk away breathing.

"This kind of shit wasn't in the job description," Chan grumbled, running a stressed hand through his hair.

Chenle sighed languidly, understanding his dilemma too well; he had analyzed it before Chan had the chance to.

"Parley?" Chenle offered, his bland tone causing everyone to wonder if this happened commonly.

Shooting Chenle a sharp glare, Chan huffed out loudly, tongue poking along the inside of his cheek intimidatingly.

Rolling his eyes before waking in a mini-circle, Bang Chan pointed an accusing finger at Chenle, resentment bleeding through his deadly glare.

"Parley," He grumbled in agreement, causing the very confused Rin to let out a breath of relief.