18) Him

After I took the address from George, I went straight to Mary's house. Once she answers the door, her eyes grow wide, "what the hell are you doing here? How did you get the address?"

I pant from running to the house, "George gave me the address, is Harper inside?"

She rolls her eyes, "that's none of your business, now leave."

I sigh, "Mary, I need to talk to her."

"Tomorrow not today," she says firmly, "today, she should calm down."

I am beginning to lose my temper, then I hear Harper's voice, "It's OK, Mike, I am leaving."

I look behind Mary to find Harper standing with widened eyes. Her eyes are puffy from crying. I clench my hands; I made her cry; I am such an idiot.

When I see her, I can't help but smile, "hey."

Hey! Are you kidding me? What the hell are you thinking?

She frowns at my words, and Mary rolls her eyes, "listen, Blake. I told you before, we can't be together, Mike doesn't have a temper, and he is so much hotter than you are."

I look at her with a raised eyebrow, what the hell is she talking about? I look back at Harper, and she is cracking a small smile. You know what? I don't care what Mary says; the important thing is that Harper is smiling.

"Well, Mary," Harper takes a few steps towards her, "I should go."

She frowns, "what? No! Why are you leaving?"

She smiles again, man, I love that smile, "Mike texted you that he is coming over, right?"

Mary smiles sheepishly, "yeah, but I told him..."

"You have done so much for me today," Harper cuts her off, "you deserve your quality time with him."

"It's not a big deal" Mary tries to convince Harper.

Harper shakes her head, "I need to be alone for a while."

Mary grunts, "and what will you tell your ma?"

"They are fast asleep," she says, "I will try to wake up early tomorrow and go out of the house before they wake up. Then, I will come back as if it was from your house."

Mary smirks, "Smart trick."

They hug and whisper something to each other's ears. Harper waves then she walks past me.

All that conversation happened as if I wasn't there. Talk about prestige...

"Wait, Harper," I call after her, but she doesn't stop, "Harper, c'mon just listen to me."

No answer.

"I chose you because of her!" I shout, and we both stop walking, "I won't lie or cheat you anymore, Harper. I chose you because of her."

I take a few steps towards her until I am behind her and whisper, "but I loved you because of who you are."

She tenses up. Is that a good sign? Probably not, she is probably angry and hurt; she will probably slap me.

She turns around, and I feel a pang in my heart. Her eyes are teary, and her nose is rosy. She looks at me with pain in her eyes, "and you are the one who declared his love to another woman."

She turns again and continues walking. I freeze for a moment. She is right; I am the idiot who confessed to my pregnant married ex, but to tell her why; I have to talk to her.

"Harper," I start, chasing her again, "please, let's talk. Let me explain."

"Mary said you could tomorrow," she says while walking.

I raise an eyebrow, "since when did Mary control our relationship?"

She turns and comes to me; she puts her index on my chest, "you should be grateful. I was planning to never talk to you; she is the one who told me to give you a chance."

I hold her hand before she can retreat it. Her eyes grow wide, and she tenses up again. She tries to take her hand back, but I hold it with both my hands. I kiss her hand while looking at her eyes; I am still holding it with both of my hands. I whisper, "I love you, Harper."

She looks like she can't breathe. I am starting to worry, but her expression turns from breathless to anger. She steps on my foot, making me release her hand, "you are becoming a great liar, maybe you should act too."

She turns and continues walking again. I sigh and decide to wait for tomorrow. I don't know how, but I will try. I continue walking after her without saying a word. I can feel her looking at me from the corner of her eyes several times.

She suddenly stops and looks at me, "why are you still following me?"

I shrug, "I promised to walk you home."

She gapes at me, "you kidding, right?"

"of course not," I retort, "walking you to and fro your house was the best part of my day, Harper."

"Plus," I continue before she can retort, "do I have to remind you what happened the last time I let you go home late at night."

She frowns, and her cheeks turn red. She continues walking, and I walk after her in silence until we reach her house. She continues walking until she arrives at her home. However, before she closes the door, she gives me a look that I can't decipher.

I screwed up, Harper, but I will get you back. I swear, I will make you love me again!

Don't forget to vote, comment and tell me what you think! XD