23) Him

The curtains close, and the audience starts clapping. I shout in happiness. We did it; the play is a success!! The audience laughed when it was funny and clapped in the climax scene. I used to sneak looks at them, and I could feel that they were intrigued. In my happiness, Harper takes my hand and leads me to the stage while Samantha leads George to the stage. The audience claps again as we all hold hands and bow to them.

I did it, dad! I wrote a play, and the audience liked it!

I have to say when Harp froze like that on stage; I knew that she got cold feet. I believe in her, I really do, but for a second I kissed the play goodbye. However, when she looked at me, I could still see that fire in her eyes. I knew she just needed a push. So, I smiled at her, and we both knew that she would show her true colours then.

The curtains closed for the last time, and we all started shouting in happiness. I held Harper in a hug and whirled her around.

"We did it, Harp," I whisper in her ear, "we did it."

She holds my face and giggles, "your dad is so proud of you, right now."

I smile, "he would have loved the way you acted."

"Ladies and disappointments! " Samantha shouts to grab our attention.

Everyone laugh but George rolls his eyes, "if it weren't for one of those disappointments, you wouldn't have been here."

"No truer words were ever said," she mutters before smiling at us, "we did it!"

We all cheer and she laughs, "finally, our Harper is a star!"

Cheers again, but Mary jokingly boos. Samantha looks at me, "and a new playwright joined our community."

Cheers, again and Harper hugs me tighter.

"Today, the party is at my house," Mary shouts.

We all shout in joy and the actors go to change.

I look through the curtains, and the theater is empty. I step outside and look around. I used to sit on those chairs as a kid watching the play unfold by incredible actors. Each production had a unique element that will leave you thinking about it until the end.

I remember when I was just seven, I used to sit on my dad's shoulder in my shorts while going back home from a play. He would tell me all the things that he loved about the play; he would explain all the details and the puns that I missed. I wouldn't understand a word, but the glow in his eyes while he talked made me want to listen to every last word.

I am so wrapped up in my thoughts that I don't notice Harper approaching till she hugs me from behind. I smile and turn around. She is smiling at me radiantly though her eyes look tired.

I hold her face, "want to skip that party?"

She shakes her head, "I wanna celebrate with everyone."

I pout, "fine."

I put an arm around her waist, and we go to the rest of the group.

"OK, Harper," Mary says with a mischievous smile, "you are not used to the fans, so just act like me."

Harper rolls her eyes and Mike laughs as he wraps an arm around Mary, "aren't you a nice friend?"

While making our way to Mary's car, someone calls my name, and I look back. It's Kristen. It's strange how someone who made my heart skip a beat has no effect on me now.

I smile, "Kristen! I am so glad you came."

She smiles, "I am glad too. The play was amazing!"