DAWN OF THE DARK DYNASTY & THE NEW INHABITANT (BOOK ONE)

"A villain is just a victim whose story hasn't been told." Chris Colfer

----------------------------------------------

Prologue

Deep within the dark forest a boy was seen running. Sheens of sweat wetted his boyish face that was crumpled in complete anguish. All around were thick tree trunks that stood tall and packed like a troop of soldiers in salute; forming a never ending maze in the dark night. The sun had long sunk into the horizon; letting loose a blinding darkness to wreak havoc.

The boy was running_ escaping from something. His muscles were cramped with fatigue and begging for a little break, but the boy knew better. That was never an option. He had to run and keep on running, and never allow himself to be caught. For only disaster followed once he fell into their grasp.

The rugged ground with rocks and protruding roots tripped him every time. The outstretched twigs and thorns clawed at him, leaving his clothes in tatters from being torn. Some nipped his skin and drew blood, though the boy never noticed, or didn't care at all. All he wanted was to use every ounce of adrenaline left to pump his feet faster and further. For not so far behind, were loud shouts and feet thuds chasing after him. The boy was named Shawn.

One might wonder what led Shawn to be chased deep into this creepy forest during this late evening...

Well, it all started when the final bell rang signaling the end of classes for the day. Litter of high school students thronged at the gate leaving for their respective homes. Few students still remained within the school premises. They were mostly the junior athletes undergoing their regular trainings, or some random students going about their business.

Shawn was among the latter. He would usually stay behind after school to be consumed in his own 'world of art'. He was an artist and a very talented one. You could usually find him seated all alone at the bleachers working on his sketches.

At such times, the bleachers would be mostly deserted, giving the boy the needed silent space and peace of mind. The few who would pass by never paid him any heed. Like who would throw a second glance at some nerdy guy clad in inconspicuous plain clothes?

To others Shawn was a ghost. He was even sure if it weren't for the school records, none would've known he existed. His sketches were his only companions. They gave him the peace of mind he so desired. They gave him the comfort and means to express himself. They were his treasure and key to his introverted lonely soul.

It was getting dark when Shawn was still working on a particular sketch. The field floodlights being shut off startled him awake. Gasping in surprise, he threw everything in his backpack and rushed to the gate. Losing track of time wasn't something new, but still did not spare him from being scolded by his parents.

There was something about that evening that unnerved the teen. It was somewhat darker and chillier than usual. Although Shawn wasn't the superstitious stereotype, something about the air felt sinister. As if the evening breeze was whistling a song of bad omen. Then again, it might be all in his head. So, he shook away such thoughts and began his long trek back home.

The town he lived in was called Pepomsituni. A small local town situated in the Abadare Forest, one of the major forests in Kenya. The name of the town was derived from Swahili meaning 'demons in the forest'. Why the town was called like so, no one ever knew. Only common wildlife lurked within the forest that stretched for miles and miles away. Of course there were some folklore, but stories were just stories.

The town was secluded peacefully despite having the common social problems every community had. It was a modern world after all.

Darkness was fast approaching. Most folks around town were already closing up shop to call it a day. It was nothing out of the ordinary given it was a small town.

Shawn usually used the route that cut through the town center. He could have used a shortcut that cut across the forest edge, but with the looming darkness it wasn't ideal. Stories have been told of people who have ventured into the forest when the darkness settles in, and never to be seen again; rumored to have fallen prey to the demons harboring within. Whether it was true of false, Shawn's timidity kept him away.

While ambling along one of the streets, he happened to come across a group of drunkards denning at some deserted corner. Straightaway, his face crumpled to dread at seeing some familiar faces within. They were members of the school rugby team.

"Ah crap, now I have to deal with these jerks." Shawn frowned.

Not wanting to entangle with them, he crossed to the other side to disappear through another street. Just to prove this evening wasn't intending to go his way, they spotted him unfortunately.

"Well, well, well... looka' here boyzzz... If it ain't nerdyyy boy?"

Shawn's frown deepened to the droning and slurring voice. That voice had a horrible tune he was sadly accustomed to. It was the voice of Jake Muloma_ the captain of the rugby team and Shawn's lifelong bully.

"Din't fancy seeing ya here. Din't your mommas tell ya... it is bad... very bad... to walk this late in the night...? Bad things tend to happen ya know!" Jake slurred with excitement while staggering towards Shawn.

The others also followed suit and, within no time, they had cornered him. The stench of alcohol reeked heavily from them and almost caused the boy to gag. At such situations, he would employ a cowering posture and hope to be left alone after a few shoves and teases. Alas, this evening proved to be those uneventful ones.

One of Jake's pals reached out and snatched away his backpack. Shawn tried snatching it back but Jake shoved him back. He was slurring some teases yet Shawn never paid him any attention. His eyes were dead set on the guy who was rummaging through his bag.

His heart was skipping beats and praying to whoever was in the heavens, "Please, oh please, not that. Please! Please! Not that..."

Just to prove his prayers reached nowhere, the guy removed the one book Shawn feared to be revealed. His most treasured art book. The guy grinned at him maliciously and started perusing through the pages. Shawn couldn't stand it any longer and moved to grab back the book, only for Jake to be the annoying nuisance who shoved him back with his huge beefy hands.

"Ho-ho! Why the rush nerdyyy boy... hic... let's playyy a little... hic..." Jake slurred through hiccups while gawking amusingly at the anxious teen.

"Holy fuck! Yoh Jake, come and blow your mind with this art piece." Just as expected, what Shawn feared came to pass when the guy paused at a certain page.

"Oh no!" Shawn paled.

Jake grabbed the book and saw the sketch on the page. His expressions changed visibly from confusion to shock then to indifference and finally, settling to an absolute rage. Shawn would be lying if he didn't feel his body grow cold at the glare snapped up at him.

The sketch that so happen to garner such a reaction from Jake was Shawn's latest and favorite. It was the sketch of Alice Prionka; his longtime crush and Jake's beloved girlfriend. It didn't have to take a blind man to know how much Shawn was screwed.

"Ah fuck, I'm a dead man..."