Chapter Thirty Six

Dina Murry's POV

"It's really quite simple, and we can execute the plan perfectly if everyone actually sticks to their role." Elijah stated flatly, and his gaze lingered on me near the dining table as I reached for a cherry.

I shrugged defensively. "Hey, don't look at me. I'm not the one who's in love with the witch that wants to kill your brother."

Kol snapped his head up from gazing down at the notebook clutched in his masculine hands, and shot me an irritated glare.

"What's gotten into you, Dina? You've been a real bitch since you got back." He commented irately, and I grinned at him annoyingly.

"I've had a long couple months full of nothing but misery, Kol. Cut a bitch some slack." I clapped back, and Kol rolled his eyes.

"I can't believe you're going against your best friend." He stated in disbelief with a hint of disappointment, and I rolled my eyes as I approached him, and snatched the notebook off his hands.

"Former best friend. You killed her, remember? And I was under the impression that she was gone forever, so forgive me if I appear to be a little dismissive of the whole friendship bond thing." I snapped, then glanced down at the notebook, which had a whole map drawn into it of the location Davina was going to break the bond between Klaus and his blood descendant vampires.

"You'd be willing to harm her instead of finding another way that can protect both Davina and Klaus!" Kol exclaimed exasperatedly. "That doesn't sound like the Dina I once knew."

"You're right. I like this new Dina a whole lot better." Klaus piped up a few feet away from us, and I glanced up his way and smirked slightly.

"Shut up, Klaus." Kol snapped.

I sighed heavily, before I placed the notebook down on the dining table, and laid my hands on both of Kol's shoulders firmly and stared up at him sincerely.

"Look, I'm sorry I am not who I used to be, Kol - believe me, I would give anything to be the Dina you once knew." I spoke slowly, my mind wandering back to how lively and careless I used to be before I ever got involved in Death Eater business. I recalled how I always stood up for what I believed was right, despite my nasty habits of being born and raised with pure-blood prejudice.

Kol stared down at me, his eyes swarming with a thousand emotions as he tried his best to understand me, and I squeezed his shoulders as I smiled sadly at him.

"But I can't change what happened to me, Kol. I can't forget the pain I had to endure for months, preparing myself to kill someone who didn't deserve to die, the stress of having to fulfil a task for the most dangerous wizard I know, or else I'd be killed. Thinking I had been forced to kill one of my best friends, only to realise it was all a cruel illusion crafted by the Dark Lord to torture me and break me. Losing my mother forever, and being separated from the only person I loved, who had given me hope and light to keep me strong."

My eyes watered, and so did Kol's as he gently wrapped his arms around me and pulled me against him in a hug, and I breathed shakily as I fought so hard to not let the tears fall.

"I'm so sorry, Kol. I'm so sorry. But I have no idea if I'll ever see Draco again, and I don't even know if he's alive ... so forgive me if I come off as a cruel bitch, but it's my of coping - because if I let myself drown in my emotions, you will definitely lose me forever."

Kol breathed against the back of my neck and shut his eyes as he gently said, "I'm sorry, Dina. I just - I've been selfish with you ... I just can't lose Davina again."