Chapter Thirty Nine

Draco Malfoy's POV

We scampered across Hogwarts grounds, leaping out of the way before spells could collide against us, and hurtling ones back at every Death Eater in sight. We all strived to stay as close as we could to one another as we battled against the Dark Lord's followers, although it was getting rather strenuous to stick together, because although we attempted to stay connected, sometimes the duel you were having would force you to move away, and chase after your opponent, or run away from them.

Nonetheless, whenever one of us felt like they were about to be defeated by their opponent, we ensured to step in and help. Theodore had just helped me hex Alecto Carrow, one of the top tier Death Eaters, flinging her across the Great Hall and smacking her back against the podium on the platform where the professors used to sit. I nodded to Theo in gratitude, and quickly glanced to my right to ensure Dina's safety.

A few feet away from me, Dina was courageously and furiously fighting Alecto's husband, Amycus Carrow, with Daphne by her side, quickly helping her defeat him. I felt my heartbeat quicken in worry, although by the looks of it, Amycus barely stood a chance; Dina and Daphne never gave him any time to catch his breath as they shot one spell after the other in a blinding speed, inevitably managing to hit him square in the chest and he fell unconscious.

"Well, would you look at that." A shrill voice behind me erupted, and I immediately turned around, my wand ready and pointed directly at Bellatrix Lestrange, my dear aunt.

"Now," She started, circling me dangerously as her eyes danced with palpable thirst to kill. "Who on this miserable earth would have ever predicted poor little, pathetic Draco Malfoy to betray his master?"

I felt the rage in the pit of my stomach cause my blood to boil and flow through my veins, and I glared hotly at her.

"Oh, that's right - it was me!" She exclaimed excitedly as she grinned sadistically at me and yanked her wand at me to point at me.

"He was never my master." I spat vehemently, wiping the smile off her face altogether as she shook in fury.

"You are a disgrace to the family." She sneered.

I shrugged. "On the contrary, Auntie Bella, I am the honour of this enslaved family."

She snarled, her lower lip curling in fury and shot a spell at me, and I quickly deflected it.

"I will not allow you to live and taint our family's name." She spoke shakily, the anger in her voice quite evident.

She then uttered, "Avada Ked -"

"Not on my watch, bitch." Dina retorted behind me, and she flung her hands forward in force, creating an invisible energy field that hit Bellatrix like a hurricane, and it caused her to fly across the room and fall in a loud crash onto the chairs of the Great Hall.

I grinned toothily at Dina and winked at her. "Thanks love, but I had it under control."

Dina rolled her eyes playfully. "She was about to kick your ass."

I somehow managed to laugh, amidst all the mayhem around us, but before I could throw back a witty response, a loud, deafening sound of a horn engulfed our surroundings, and everyone in sight suddenly fell to the ground and clutched their heads in pain, some of which let out screams and others suppressing it.

The noise ceased a moment later, and we heard the dreadful voice of Lord Voldemort call out from outside near Hogwarts' gates, yelling, "Gather around everyone!"

I set my gaze on Dina and the others, all of us exchanging looks of dread and horror as we predicted what was to happen.

If he was making an announcement, it couldn't possibly be good news to any of us.