Firefly

We're gunna pretend we never saw that!!...
Yachi and Yamaguchi glance at each other nodding excitedly before they smile turning their head back forward.

But from your angle you were were oblivious, only seeing what you considered a real couple laughing and smiling.

"How bout we go to the park!"
Yamaguchi laughs out, Yachi nodding excited and you reluctantly agree.

It was already past nine and soon you knew worry would grow in your parents.

Following them as they branched off the main route you began making your way into the park the moon your only source of light.

"What are we even going to do?"
Tsukishima says irritated as he begins swaying away the countless bugs flying near him.

Walking on the path you saw three benches up ahead Yamaguchi and Yachi taking one leaving you too choose the one on your far right.

But.

"Why're you sitting next to me."
You questioned stiff as a board as he sat inches apart.

With him also curious on why he chose to sit next to you he doesn't reply only staring ahead ignoring you.

Whatever....
It was fine by you, after all this wasn't the worst he could do so fazing you was much harder than this.

Turning your head to Yamaguchi and Yachi they seemed to be staring at a firefly on the ground watching as it lit up then went dim.

How could I not see this coming....
It was your fault though, without even fully knowing her you checked her off as a timid girl who feared all the guys while Yamaguchi was like Tsukishimas sidekick.

You still couldn't believe something blossomed between the two of them so quickly.

You and Tsukishima were, much more complicated than that.

It's my fault for making that dumb friends with benefits agreement!
But without it you and him may have never come so far as you had now.

It was frustrating to think about and it tired you out, more than usual with your eyes on Yachi and Yamaguchi.

Pure bliss on their face as they giggled and laughed.

Without knowing you felt a hand creep into yours and instinctively you turn your head.

Seeing Tsukishima still faced forward not paying a mind you glance down seeing his hand on top of yours.

Is he.....
As it grabbed yours taking it a small blush forms on your face and you hold his hand as well, facing away.

You hummed to yourself peacefully a smiling forming on your face.

"It's ten now let's just go home.."
Yamaguchi yawns, a few minutes passing as he stands with Yachi, you and Tsukishima quickly pull your hand away following them.

The path was made out of stone and probably way before you were born, the crevices and small little plants giving away its age.

Glancing up at Tsukishima his eyes were entirely focused on moving forward and it seemed he was stuck in his own headspace at the moment.

Shaking your head wanting to wash off whatever bad feeling you had in you it only seemed to pile up more and more, you guys had just held hands so all of your doubts should be gone right?

You just had to focus on getting home without side glances from your parents.

This date was over and his face entirely showed it.