Ch.12 Three Full Moons

Chapter 12

The feeling of falling from the skies woke Maya as she stirred up on her bed. The heavy covers were pulled over her body as she laid in the dark room wondering what had happened. The last thing Maya remembered before falling into a strange dream was looking up at Xavier as he carried her back into the hospital room.

Maya kicked the covers off of her and pushed herself up. When the left side of her head started to throb, she groaned in pain and collapsed back onto the bed. After a few seconds, she tried again but only for her head to protest with more aggression.

"As entertaining as this is," a voice spoke from somewhere in the dark room. "I think the smart thing to do would be to lay in bed. Wouldn't you agree?"

Maya's heart leaped up as she pushed against her aching head and sat up straight. Her breathing was labored as her eyes tried their best to adjust to the darkness and find the source of the voice. She knew exactly who it was. The voice had been in her head for years. There was no way she would ever forget it.

"Good morning, birdie," Heyder said as he stepped into the tiny slither of sunlight peeking in through the curtains.

Maya opened her mouth but no sound came out. Her chest started to hurt from how fast her heart was beating. Her eyes took in the jinn as he stood a few feet away from the bed, gazing at her in wonder. His tattoo covered arms were folded over his broad chest as he bit down on his bottom lip. The edges of his brown eyes twinkled with mischief.

Unable to help herself, Maya jumped off the bed and flung her arms around Heyder's neck. He caught her instantly as her feet dangled off the floor. At first he held her against his body with one arm wrapped around her narrow waist. But as Maya buried her face in the crook of his neck and pulled him closer, Heyder moved his other arm around her and caged her into his embrace.

Maya shivered as she felt Heyder dig his nose into her hair and take in a deep breath. Every inch of her body that pressed against him sparked to life as they stood in the dark room tangled in a complicated mess of emotions, questions, and worries.

After a few minutes, Maya leisurely pulled back to look up at Heyder. Her feet still hovered off the ground as he held her against him. Heyder lifted his head and let out the breath he had been holding.

"Hi," Maya cooed a bit breathlessly.

"Hi," Heyder smiled looking into her eyes.

"I....you..." Maya struggled to form words. "You're here."

"So it seems."

"I....don't know what to say," Maya gave a nervous laugh.

Heyder raised a brow, "I was told you were vicious and scary. Pardon me, but.....I'm not seeing it."

"Who told you that?" Maya placed her hands on his upper arms and pushed back to get a better look at his face.

"Doesn't matter," Heyder shrugged. "How are you feeling?"

"Overwhelmed," Maya said honestly. "Excited, nervous, and maybe a bit pukey."

Heyder took a step towards the bed as he carried Maya over. She watched him wondering what he was going to do as he sat her down on the edge and took a step back.

"How are you feeling?" She asked as Heyder switched on the lamp on the nightstand. Maya felt her heart flutter as she caught sight of the jinn in the light. Her hands itched to trace over his tattoos and have him on her skin.

"Golden," Heyder said with a blank expression. He turned to face Maya as he pushed his hands into his pockets.

Maya blinked several times as her mind ran in circles. She had so many questions for him but she had no idea where to start. Her jittery nervous cooked up a nervous laugh and her rapid heart pushed it out.