Ch.40 A Promise

Chapter 40

Heyder could feel Exton's eyes on the back of his head like the heat of two super powered lazerbeams. As Rye checked Maya's temperature and gave her some medication to help the fever go down, Heyder sat next to the bed holding May's hand. The soft warm glow from their hands reflected off of Maya's sleeping face as Gemma kissed her forehead and tucked the blanket in around her. After a few minutes, Heyder looked over his shoulder to the werewolf standing by the door.

Exton's face gave away nothing. His eyes were empty and his face smooth as a stone. He stood leaned against the door frame with his arms folded over his chest. His eyes stayed glued on Maya as Rye gathered her things and looked at Heyder.

"I have her something to help with the fever," she said. "Is there anything else I should know about?"

"No," Heyder said. "Just the fever."

"How long does it usually last?"

"Three days," Heyder looked down at his hand holding Maya. "But I've never healed anyone before during the fever."

Rye followed his eyes. She took in a long deep breath before turning to her son by the door. With a small smile, she gave him a nod.

"She'll be okay, Eggs."

Exton didn't respond. He simply straightened up and walked out of the room. Gemma looked up from where she sat beside Maya. she looked at Rye and gave her a small nod. Heyder didn't pay much attention as the door closed behind him. He wished Gemma would leave too, but he knew Maya would want her to be here.

"I would never do this to her on purpose," Heyder said quietly. He kept his eyes on Maya as he spoke to Gemma.

Gemma took in a deep breath. Leaning over, she pushed back some of Maya's hair out of her face and kissed her forehead again.

"I heard about her traveling," she said, looking at the jinn through her lashes. "I heard she was there when Sofia and Owen captured you."

Heyder nodded.

"You didn't fight because of her," Gemma concluded.

Heyder didn't have to answer.

"Exton is worried,"

"I understand but he needs to know I will never let anything happen to Ma-"

"His birth mother died from a curse," Gemma looked down at Maya's sleeping face. "He was about two or three."

"And then when we met Rye had a curse on her too," Gemma continued. "So I hope you can see why he isn't staying calm."

"He thinks Maya's faith will be like his birth mother," Heyder looked up slowly.

"Yes," Gemma nodded slowly. "He won't say it, but I know him. He's scared to death. He witnessed his mother die, not once but twice. He can't do it with his daughter......"

"I won't let a-"

"You keep saying that," Gemma sighed, her eyes snapping up to meet Heyder. "I need you to mean it. Promise me you won't let anything happen to my daughter."

"I promise," Heyder said, without skipping a beat.

"Exton will never be the same if anything happens to Maya."

"I promise," Heyder said once more. "I won't let anything happen to her. But Gemma......"

Gemma waited for the jinn to continue. She looked into his hard brown eyes and put on a brave face.

"If I fail...." Heyder said the words as if it hurt. "You need to put me down."

"What?" Gemma frowned.