Ch.50 Flames

Chapter 50

Maya felt her heart skid like wheels of a race car against asphalt. Her legs and arms began to feel light as air while also giving her the sense of feeling rooted to the ground. She felt the fey magic ripple out of her to the shield around herself and Heyder as Mirza took a step off the back deck.

"Heyder," the jinn smiled. "Look at you. Your magic can barely light a candle."

Heyder's eyes darkened. He knew Mirza had been waiting centuries for this moment. Heyder's magic was drained. It wouldn't be much of a fight between the brothers. But, even with his strength half of what it used to be, Heyder knew he could hold his own. He had fought Mirza many times to know all of the jinn's tricks.

"You're bringing a fey into this world," Mirza shook his head. "It's like you want me to kill you."

"Back the fuck up," Heyder said sternly. "This cat and mouse chase is over. If you take one more step I will put you six feet under."

"With what magic?" Mirza raised a brow.

Heyder's hands began to glow immediately. The shield around him and Maya reacted immediately and tried to retreat away from the jinn. From the corner of her eyes Maya saw the force field retreating and her heart stopped.

"No," she whispered, placing her hand over her belly. "Stay put."

As if trying to speak to her, the violet light of the shield pulsed like a heartbeat.

"Stay." Maya commanded.

"There's plenty to put you under," Heyder said. The violet and the gold from Maya and Heyder lit up the forest like a Christmas show.

Beside the jinn, Maya's fingers weaved through the air summoning her magic and having it on stand by. Her eyes watched Mirza. Calculating his every move and finding every advantage point from where she should attack.

"You know, Heyder? All these years I know Zubair would have skinned me alive if I actually killed you," Mirza said. "You were always his favorite. You could do no wrong. But finally. Finally! I know I can kill you and return a hero to cheers at court."

Maya's heart started to race.

"Thank you," Mirza laughed. "Thank you for getting her pregnant. Thank you for giving me the light I had been waiting for."

Before Maya could think, three other jinns walked out from inside the house. They were all dressed in black, their eyes dark, and their features dangerously handsome just like Heyder and Mirza. In front of Maya, Heyder's body language changed completely. Maya could feel him reach out for her as his eyes watched the jinns.

"Eric," Heyder nodded to one of the jinns with midnight black hair and icy blue eyes.

"Heyder," the jinn, Eric, greeted them back. "I wish we were meeting under different circumstances."

"Mirza," Heyder turned to his brother. "What did you do?"

"I know you messed with Maaz's mind," Mirza snared. "I had to pick through the mess piece by piece and try to figure out what you could possibly be going to just great length to hide."

"Now can you imagine my surprise when I find out you are having a fey child?" Mirza laughed. "Honestly, like always, Zubair was going to let you get away with messing up Maaz. But this. Oh no. He couldn't overlook this."

Heyder and Maya looked at Eric and the other two jinns. Slowly, Maya felt her mind link open.

"Heyder," Eric started. "You have been sentenced to death by the Tyveer court. You have been denied a trial. All of your possessions, property, magi-"