Ch.37 Bells of Hell

Chapter 37

Heyder watched helplessly as jinns in brass armor dragged Maya away. Her fey magic flared up like a ball of raging fire, but all the brass around her was starting to drain Maya of her strength. She tried to leap through the little openings between the jinn and run toward Heyder, but they caught her and tied her hands behind her back.

"Maya!" Heyder called to her. "Zubair! Stop!"

"We can not turn a blind eye to this, Heyder," the old man said. "Fey's are dangerous."

"She would never hurt you!" Heyder pleaded, earning a snort from Mirza who was being treated by Zubair's daughter Hafsa.

"Let her go," Heyder demanded. He pushed with all this strength to get out of Zubair's hold. But the jinn's magic was older and stronger. Like Ali had said, next to the Tyveer Heyder and he were children.

"We're doing this for the good of our people," Zubair said as he slowly walked up to Heyder. "Leave one Fey alive and they will rise and conquer."

"You are delusional if you think I will let you lay a finger on her," Heyder said through his teeth. "She will burn you all to the ground."

"You will stay out of this," Zubair said calmly as he pulled out a pair of thick brass cuffs and placed each one around Heyder's wrists.

"What are you doing?" Heyder tried to fight him off.

"Ensuring you won't interfere with tonight's event."

Heyder felt the cool metal against his skin. It was as if Zubair had tied ice around the jinn's wrists. The sudden weight that came over Heyder left him feeling heavy and dull. His muscles ached as his magic moved out of reach.

Zubair turned to the Tyveer with the deep voice, "Maaz, take him to Ira's quarters."

Maaz bowed his head slightly. He walked over to Heyder and gently grabbed his arm.

"Let's go," he said.

"Get off of me!" Heyder shoved him off. "Where did you take Maya?"

"Heyder," Maaz sighed. "Listen and do as you are told......for once in your life."

"Maaz," Heyder took a deep breath. "Listen to me. I have to get to Maya. I love her. With every part of my heart and being I love her. And if anything happens to her, I will forget all my vows and ties and tear this place apart brick by brick, life by life."

Maaz suddenly grabbed Heyder once more. He snapped his fingers and the two stumbled into a large bedroom. Heyder's nose was instantly filled with his mother's perfume. He shook his head and climbed out his feet. The brass cuffs around his wrists sparkled in the low candle light.

"Maaz!" Heyder said to the man. "Don't hurt her. She's innocent. She would never hurt a soul."

"You still haven't learned your please and thank yous, have you?" Maaz shook his head as he stared at the young jinn with disapproval.

"Do you want me to beg you?" Heyder asked desperately. "I will. I'll beg Zubair or anyone else you tell me too. Just let her go.......please. Please, Just let her go."

"Heyder," Maaz rubbed his face. "You don't realize what you have done. Zubair is not going to let the girl live. He's already called in every jinn to court."

"This is a dumb move," Heyder shook his head. He tried desperately to reach his magic but the brass locked him out. "Do you have any idea what her family will do? Zubair is inviting war onto our people."

"Why did you bring her here?"

"No one was supposed to see her!" Heyder yelled. "We were going to be in and out in five minutes! Mirza knew we were coming. He dragged Zubair down to mother's library."