Ch.30 If I had a soul....

Chapter 30

Maya used both of her hands to apply pressure on the wounds on Heyder's chest. She felt his warm blood soak into the sleeves of her sweater. It's metallic scent filled the interior of the car as Owen drove through the forest. Ali, sitting shotgun, rolled the window down and stuck his head out. From the corner of Maya's eyes she watched the jinn caught up a mouthful of blood.

"Ali," Maya called to him. "What's wrong? Are you okay?"

"My insides hurt," Ali groaned.

"Owen, hurry!" Maya said as she applied more pressure to Heyder. She looked down at his still face as her heart shriveled into a raisin. When was the last time she had seen him be silent for so long?

"Heyder...." Maya lowered her lips to his ear. "Can you hear me? You have to get up."

"Maya," Owen said over his shoulder as he hit the breaks. Maya looked up and through the two front seats she spotted the large portal.

Exton and Alec waited for them as a team of medics rushed towards the car. They jumped into action as they took Heyder out of Maya's arms and disappeared through the portal. One stayed behind and helped Ali walk through slowly. Covered in Heyder's blood, Maya climbed out of the car with shaking keens.

"I got you, baby," Exton said as he pulled her into his arms. Maya looked up at him with cloudy eyes before he pulled her head down and buried it in his chest. She didn't move as her father covered her head with kisses.

"Are you hurt?" Exton asked, pulled Maya's face up.

"No," Maya shook her head. "But dad.......I think I did that to Heyder and Ali."

"We don't have to talk about that right now."

"Do you see this?" Maya pulled away and looked down at her black sweater. "I'm covered in Heyder's blood."

"Let's get you home and cleaned up."

"I'm telling you I almost killed two jinns and you're worried about cleaning me up?" Maya yelled in frustration.

"What do you want me to do?" Exton matched her. "Let's go home and we can all talk about it with a calm head. You're running with adrenaline right now."

Maya blinked in surprise. She knew her father had a temper but he had never been stern with her or Adeline growing up. It was her mom's job to be the bad cop. She wasn't used to the alpha commend in his voice. It may not have had the same effect on her as it would have if she was a werewolf, but Maya still felt it's weight.

"Are we clear?" Exton asked.

"Yes," Maya nodded.

Owen looked over his shoulder from where he was talking to Alec and some of the other queen's guards. He walked over and put his hand on Exton's shoulder.

"Let's go," he said looking over at Maya.

Maya gave her father one last baffled look before she marched towards the portal. Behind her, she heard her father's footsteps followed by Owen's.

Maya, Owen opened his link just as they all stepped through to the palace. Exton is worried. He's not mad at you or anything.

Maya didn't say anything. She rushed up the stairs towards her room. She passed Adeline and Clare as they tried to speak to her, but she pushed past them. Entering her room, Maya ran into the bathroom and jumped into the shower. With fumbling hands, she turned the water on and hugged her midsection.

The hot water soaked through her headband down her back. It took a while for her sweater to gather and fill up with water before the blood started to rundown. Maya stood still as a rock with her eyes glued on the trail of blood. She didn't know how long she stood there until she heard Adeline come into the bathroom.