Ch.41 See no evil, Hear no evil

Chapter 41

After kicking Heyder out of the room, Maya climbed back into bed. She felt exhausted to her bones and the thought of moving around made her sick to her stomach. She prayed she would be able to get a few more hours of sleep before Tobias arrived, but with her family popping in and out of the room to check in on her, sleep was impossible.

"I can't believe you are married," Margo said as she laid across the foot of Maya's bed.

"Not by choice," Maya reminded her.

"If Ali tricked me into marrying him, I would cut off his hands."

"Heyder didn't trick me into marrying him," Maya married her eyes. "We were in a tough situation."

Margo shrugged as she slipped her glossy dark hair over her shoulder. The shiny necklaces she wore around her neck glimmered in the sunlight and her perfectly tan skin made Maya envious. The girl was always sunkissed and ready.

"Whatever it was, I still feel really bad for you," Margo said. "Heyder is terrible. I can't imagine being married to him."

"What has he ever done to you?" Maya asked. But before Margo could respond, she stopped the girl. "Nothing. He has done nothing to you. Stop being such a judgemental bitch. Not everyone is a lap dog like Ali."

Margo paused picking at her nails. She lifted her full voluminous lashes and smirked.

"So possessive of your husband."

"Shut up," Maya rolled her eyes. "I'm not thrilled about being married to Heyder, but that doesn't mean he's a bad person."

As she spoke the words, her conversation with the jinn from the night before came back into her mind. With every inch of her, she knew Heyder, somewhere in his dark twisted heart, wanted the love of a family. Other than his mother, he never got acceptance from his brothers. Maya felt her heart shrivel up everytime she thought about Adeline treating her the same way Mirza treated Heyder.

As if activating some kind of hidden bobby trap, Maya suddenly felt the urge to be around Heyder. She needed to see him with her own eyes and know he was okay. Her heart started to hurt and all she could think about was looking into his dark eyes and seeing him smile. Even if it was his stupid smirk that got under her skin. She needed to see him.

Throwing her covers back and surprising Margo, Maya hopped off the bed. She felt her legs wobble, but they were much better then they had been earlier. In her long pink pajama pants and loosely fitted flannel shirt, Maya stumbled out of her room.

"Where are you going?" Margo asked, following her out.

"I need a walk," Maya lied. "My back hurts."

"I'll come with you,"

"No," Maya said a little too quickly. Margo paused and raised a brow.

"You'll say something that'll piss me off," Maya said. "Go find Ella or Maksim and bother them."

"Call me when you fix your attitude," Margo pressed her lips into a thin line. "I don't need your negativity in my life."

"Margo," Maya sighed. "Just go. Piss off."

"Witch," Margo said under her breath as she grabbed her purse and stepped around Maya.

Without waiting for the mermaid to turn around the corner, Maya headed out in search of Heyder. She had no idea where to look for him but putting her bed on his room down the hall, she rushed over. Without knocking, Maya pushed the double doors open and stepped in.