Ch. 54 Comet

Chapter 54

As the cold wind blew through the jinn's hair, Heyder stood on the roof of the palace and gazed up at the three comet like beings floating in the far away sky. They shun like stars, harmless and perfect, ready to grant wishes.

"What are they doing?" Clare asked as she slowly stepped up next to Heyder. She gazed up at the sky and frowned.

"Nothing," Heyder said with a sigh. "Just hovering and circling around."

"What do you think they are waiting for?"

"For Zubair to give the command," Heyder said.

"What is he waiting for?"

"The right opportunity," Heyder dropped his gaze. "I know how that man's mind works. He's waiting for the next time Heyden is compromised. I'll be distracted, Maya will be unguarded."

Clare didn't speak. She continued to gaze at the jinns in the sky and assess each and every single one of their movements. Beside her, Heyder's anger and frustration sparked like exposed wires. She knew he was struggling with the decision that was already made.

"You know they will never stop," she said, quietly. Her eyes dropped from the skies to the man standing beside her.

"I know," Heyder confessed.

"Heyder?" Clare turned her body completely to look at the jinn. "I know Zubair is like a father to you....."

"I never knew my father," Heyder said.

"You're about to be a father," Clare reminded him.

"I know, I know," frustrated Heyder ran a hand through his dark hair. "Just look after Maya and Heyden."

"You know I will," Clare frowned. "What do I tell Maya?"

In the darkness, Heyder turned to look at the young girl beside him, "Tell her that I am doing this for her and Heyden."

Clare nodded. She could feel the jinn's anger and frustration as he flickered his finger and a portal appeared. The sadness that swam in Heyder's eyes made Clare's heart shrink. Under all that anger and fire, he was an extraordinarily being who had spent his whole existence searching for an ordinary dream to believe in.

"Wait!" Clare called to the jinn before he disappeared into the portal.

Heyder looked over his shoulder as Clare raised her hand. His eyes flickered up to her in the darkness and she urged him to accept. Slowly, Heyder raised his hand and placed it against Clare's.

"Thank you, Clare," Heyder said sincerely. "For everything."

"You're welcome," Clare smiled.

With one last look at the sky, Heyder vanished into the portal. The bright light that greeted him in the veil had the jinn squint as he raised his arm up against the snow storm.

"Heyder!" The gatekeeper exclaimed. "How wonderful to see you? Where Maya?"

The muscles in his jaw jumped as he glared at the copper haired woman.

"She's never coming here as long as I am alive," he said.

The gatekeeper, with her porcelain skin and ruby red lips, frowned, "But I liked her. She was so much like her father."

Heyder didn't wait around to chat. He raised his hand and summoned another portal to the Tyveer court. He could feel the gatekeeper watching him as he moved across the heavy snow.

"I've never wanted nothing but the very best for you, Heyder," the woman said.

"Why?" Heyder paused, a bit surprised by her confession.