Ch.42 The temple of Apollo

Chapter 42

Maya slowly laid Fiza's head against a pillow as the girl stayed lost in a deep slumber. She pulled the covers over her and asked Heyder to draw all the curtains in the room.

"What's the point?" Heyder asked. "It's not like she can see."

"Fine," Maya shook her head. "I'll do it."

As she got off the bed with irritation in her blue eyes, Heyder snapped his fingers and the curtains moved across the large windows, covering the sunlight. Maya paused and looked over her shoulder at the jinn. She narrowed her eyes and muttered a string of unpleasant words before heading for the doors. Heyder followed her out, biting his lip to keep himself from laughing.

"You really are the absolute worst," Maya said once she heard the door click shut behind her. "How can you do that to her?"

"Well, I used my magic," Heyder said calmly. "I used this simple spell. First, I had to summon my magic to the surface, and then I receipted the wor-"

"Stop it," Maya walked away. "You know that's not what I meant."

"What do you want me to say?" Heyder laughed.

"You don't care about anyone!" Maya stopped, turning.

"That's not true."

"You were obsessed with her just a few weeks ago, and now you've blinded her. You were so rude to Tobias, even though the man came all this way to help us. Why are you always snapping at people?"

Heyder pushed his hands into his front pocket and rocked back on his heels. His dark eyes were amused as he gave Maya her favorite half smile.

"I don't like people," he said. "When you have lived as long as I have, you realize how selfish this whole world is."

"Not everyone is selfish, Heyder," Maya shook her head.

"You're right," Heyder took a step forward. He reached out with his hand and Maya moved her head away. Her action caused the jinn to roll his eyes.

"Name a part of your body I haven't touched, birdie," he said, looking into her eyes. Maya narrowed her eyes as she felt Heyder place his hand against the side of her face.

"You're not selfish," he said, taking another step closer. "You're anything but."

"I'm sure Adeline and Maksim will say otherwise," Maya took in a deep breath.

"I don't care what they have to say," Heyder's voice softened. "If you were selfish, you would have never done what you did for Fiza."

"It was the human thing to do."

"I wouldn't have done it," Heyder said.

"I know," Maya rolled her eyes.

"You are so good," Heyder took in a deep breath of her scent. He leaned forward and pressed his forehead against hers. "You're the light my darkness needs to exist."

"But....you're not....." Maya looked up at the jinn through her lashes. "You're not all darkness."

"I envy your ability to lie, princess," Heyder smirked.

Before Maya could respond, Heyder let go of her face and took a step back. He pushed his hands inside of his pockets once more because he knew that if he didn't, he would never be able to stop touching her. Maya held his eyes as he began to slowly walk away.

"I'll pick you up in five minutes," he said. "Apollo awaits."

Maya didn't respond. She felt her heart flutter in her chest as the jinn turned on his heels and strolled away. She stood frozen and watched him vanish into his room before shaking her head out of the haze. With a look around at the empty halls, she headed for her room.