CH.49 Three

Chapter 49

Clare, Ali and Heyder materialized in the hall of the palace right in front of Maya's door. They heard her soft voice laughing from inside as they all stood around staring at each other. After a while, looking absolutely defeated, Heyder turned to Clare.

"Thanks for coming with us today," he said.

Clare nodded, "Yeah."

Heyder patted Ali's shoulder before turning the door knob and pushing the it open. His eyes fell on Maya and the bright smile on her face. Her sister, Adeline sat across from her on the bed and the two laughed about something someone said. Maya looked up as Heyder entered the room and held out her hand for him.

"Where were you?" She asked as he came to stand by her side. Heyder took her hand and kissed her forehead.

"I went to see Maaz," He said, before turning to Adeline. "Hello, Adeline."

"Hello," the blonde smiled.

"How's Ben?"

Adeline looked slightly taken back by the jinn's friendliness. She turned to her sister before looking back to Heyder.

"Ben is fine," she said.

"I haven't seen him around here much," Heyder commented. "You hardly come around here anymore either."

Adeline grew slightly uncomfortable, "We're just a little busy. Hey! Congratulations on the baby and the wedding! I can't believe I missed my sister's wedding. I was just telling her that once the baby is born and the curse is over we need to have a proper wedding."

"Is that what you want?" Heyder looked at Maya.

"I would if you ask me to marry you," Maya teased. "Ali proposed to me the first time around, remember?"

"Was he at least romantic?"

"If my memory serves me right he said something along the lines of just put on the ring woman!"

"So that means you have to ask her properly," Adeline said to Heyder. "Like ask dad for her hand and all that fun stuff."

"Fun stuff," Heyder rolled his eyes.

"I'll tell dad to be extra hard on you," Adeline teased.

"He already is!" Heyder exclaimed.

Maya began to laugh as Heyder bickered. Her cheeks had a healthy glow to them and her hair was once again back to it's golden state. She held a glass of green smoothie in her hand and her laugh was carefree. Heyder allowed himself to sigh a breath of relief for just a minute.

"Oh! Before I forget," Adeline sat up and reached for her purse on the floor. Maya leaned over to see what the girl was doing as she pulled out a small box.

"I wanted to be the first one to get a present for our baby boy," Adeline handed the box over to Maya. "Open it. I saw it and thought of Heyden."

Maya handed Heyder the green smoothie. She undid the little black bow on the box and set the ribbon aside. Slowly, she pushed aside the tissue papers and gasped.

"What is it?" Heyder asked.

"Oh my god," Maya shrieked with joy. "Where did you get these?"

Adeline beamed as Maya pulled out a pair of newborn red Vans sneakers. The little things looked as if they could be hung on a Christmas tree as ornaments. They were so dainty and precious. Maya held them up to her chest and reached out for her sister.