Ch.15 Derailed

Chapter 15

Maya patiently waited at the stop of the stairs as Heyder materialized in the foyer. His piercing eyes were dark and angry as he climbed the steps to where his mate stood.

"This is so childish," he said. "You're wasting my time."

"Glad to see I mean so much to you," Maya rolled her eyes as she began to lead him towards the family room. "Behave yourself."

Heyder's jaw flexed as he groaned. He was growing more and more irritated with Maya's silly actions by the second. She had never been so stubborn before. It was almost as if she was hellbent on doing everything he asked her not to do. Was it a family trait?

"I promise I'll give you your papers before you leave," Maya said over her shoulder. She paused outside of the closed doors and turned to look at the man behind her. Anxiously, she fixed his black t-shirt and pushed his hair out of his face.

"They've seen my good looks already," Heyder said, not very amused.

"Always put your best feet forward," Maya said as she turned back to the door and pushed it open.

Inside, Exton and Gemma waited for the new couple by the sofa. Rye and Xavier sat across from them and Mavi and Owen pitched by the window, a little bit away. Heyder's eyes scanned over them as he walked in with a dark frown. He spotted Sofia standing behind Gemma and shot her an angry glare.

"Mom, dad," Maya took a deep breath. "You already know Heyder."

Exton had his eyes locked on the jinn. He slowly rose from his seat and buttoned his blazer's button. Maya held her breath as her father walked up to her and held his hand out for Heyder.

Please, Maya begged Heyder through their mind-link. For me.

Heyder reached out and shook Exton's hand. Maya let go of the breath she was holding and told herself to think positive. Heyder wasn't crazy. He knew this was important.

"And to think I almost married your sister," Heyder said.

Oh no, Maya wanted to scream as she witnessed the flicker of anger behind her father's green eyes.

"Hello Heyder," Gemma quickly stepped in before her husband could respond to the jinn. "It's nice to see you again."

"Is it?" Heyder chuckled. "Because I'm sure as hell not happy to see your face."

Maya wanted to smack him. She dug her nails into his palm and begged him to stop through their link.

Stop this, please. She said.

You wanted us to meet. Heyder reminded her.

"I know we've had our differences," Xavier cleared his throat as he stood up slowly. Maya and Heyder turned to look at the man as he extended his hand to the jinn. "But we must remember the common ground that unites us all."

"Which is?" Heyder raised a brow as he shook Xavier's hand.

Xavier frowned. "Maya. Her happiness is all of our end goal."

"Right," Heyder said as he stepped away. "So why don't we cut this short? You let me keep her happy and not waste my time. I'm a busy man."

"You're talking as if you plan to take her away," Exton said.

"I thought that was pretty obvious," Heyder looked over his shoulder. "You really think I will let her stay here with her around?"

Everyone followed Heyder's finger in confusion as he pointed out Gemma. Maya looked at her mate in confusion as her mother's face paled slightly.