Ch.45 Time Keeper

Chapter 45

"Tell her it's a stupid idea," Heyder pushed as he looked at Exton across the table. Maya rolled her eyes as she threw down the pen she was holding and leaned back on her table.

"You're not your father," Heyder said, looking at the witch frowning next to Exton. "You travel in the same timeline, you will mess things up."

"Hold on a second," Exton held up a finger as he thought long and hard.

"There are rules!" Maya snapped. "I'm not going to mess anything up. I just go in and bring the aphros back."

"Ever heard of the butterfly effect?" Heyder shook his head. His dark eyes narrowed as Maya waved her hand and dismissed him. "Exton, tell her she's being dumb. She can't go back in time. It's a rid-"

"What are you so afraid of?" Maya leaned forward.

"Of everything messing up!" Heyder's voice raised slightly. "I am not going to risk us. You have no idea what you getting the aphros can do to the present."

"Heyder," Exton held up his hand.

"We have to try something!" Maya cut in.

"Maya," Exton looked at his daughter. "Both of you. Shut up."

"Tell her it's stupid and I will," Heyder looked at the man.

"I won't tell her that," Exton said calmly.

"Ha!" Maya hollered with satisfaction.

"What the fuck man?" Heyder looked at Exton once more.

"I understand your concern," Exton started slowly. "But your understanding of time is very wrong."

"And this is coming from the man who can time travel and has studied with the Vikings for years," Maya pointed out to drive home the point that her plan was not reckless.

"Well go ahead and explain then," Heyder said.

"Time is like a stream," Exton said, slowly. He waited until he captured the jinn's dark eyes to continue. "If Maya goes back in time, her present will not change. She will just create an alternative timeline."

"What do you mean?" Heyder asked.

"Let's say Maya goes back and takes the aphros from you. When she comes back, nothing in our time will change. But from the point where she will leave with the aphros, a new alternative reality will start."

"Are you sure?" Heyder asked with great concern.

"Yes, I'm sure," Exton nodded. "There are millions upon trillions of alternative timelines. Some are almost identical to our very own but with minor changes. For example, there can be two parallel timelines going in the same direction. But the only thing making them different is that the events of one timeline are two days behind the other."

"Or in one you had on a red shirt instead of a black one," Maya added on.

"Exactly," Exton confirmed. "Everything could be identical except just one minor detail."

"What are the chances of Maya getting hurt?" Heyder rubbed his jawline. "I mean she can't even control where she travels too or how to get out. How will she even go back to the correct time and place?"

"There is nothing in life that can't be controlled," Exton said. "Maya's ability to travel is not different from her ability to do magic. We have to make sure she can control it and bend it to her will."

Heyder remained silent. He thought about Exton's words carefully as Maya watched him with her blue eyes. The irritation and frustration was clear as day in his dark eyes. He did not try to hide at all how annoyed he was with the plan for Maya to go back in time.