Ch.23 My Fiza

Chapter 23

With a desperate gasp for air, Maya sat up straight. Every part of her body shivered as the cool grass beneath her poked at her bare legs and arms. Her hair was soaking wet, sticking to her like tentacles.

With panicked breaths, Maya looked around and realized she was sitting on the back lawn of the palace. Her knees buckled as she dragged herself up and looked around. The taste of salt water still lingers in her mouth and all the water she had swallowed was starting to burn her throat. For a few seconds, Maya wondered if maybe she was dead when she suddenly heard Mavi's laugh.

"Don't tell me you're allergic to pollen."

Maya whirled around with wide eyes. She spotted Mavi walking towards her as Heyder sneezed behind her on the path.

"Mother nature has never been kind to me," Heyder said as he rubbed his nose.

Maya's jaw dropped to the floor as she stood in the middle of the lawn in her black bikini watching Heyder run to Mavi with a carefree smile that made her heart to flips. She had never seen that smile.

"Oh this is rich. The great, all mighty Heyder is weakened by pollen?" Mavi teased as she reached up and adjusted the flower crown on her head.

"You think I'm great?" Heyder tilted his head and laughed.

Unaware of her actions, Maya began to follow the pair down the pebble path of the rose garden. The small smooth rocks were uneven and slippery beneath her feet as she stumbled.

"I didn't say that," Maya heard Mavi say.

"Yes, you did, princess," Heyder laughed.

"I meant your powers."

"My powers and I are one," Heyder argued. "So therefore I am great."

Maya watched as Mavi turned around and began to walk backward. She had a gleam in her eyes as she held her head up and looked down at the jinn.

"Take all that magic away and what are you?" She asked.

In front of Maya Heyder stopped walking. He pushed his hands into his pockets and shrugged.

"Crazy about you."

"Smooth," Mavi smirked just as Maya rolled her eyes. "You are such a flirt."

"I can't lie to you, remember?" Heyder said.

"I'm engaged," Mavi held up her hand with her ring. "Remember?"

"Dang it," Heyder laughed. Maya looked at him and her heart began to ache.

His sorrow filled brown eyes were so evident to her. He was standing there thinking Mavi was Maya. and he was watching her become someone else's.

"Does he really make you happy?" He asked, frowning.

"Of course," Mavi said.

"What is he doing right now?"

"He.....He's just a little upset," Mavi hesitated.

Maya pushed her wet hair out of her face as her chest began to burn. She stayed close to Heyder in hopes that he might be able to sense her. They walked along the rose garden for a while before Heyder spoke again.

"I wish he knew how much he meant to you."

"He does." Mavi looked away.

"You were willing to give up everything for him," Heyder said. "You went against the council and made him your Beta.....and then he just.....left?"