twelve

Artist Sincere DuBois

"Bro... you think I got ass to be stripper?" Evre asked from speaker phone.

I scrunched my face, switching lanes, then shook my head. "Nah, not really."

"Boy! Mmcht."

"What? You want me to lie?" She didn't say nothing, just huffed and puffed like I had hurt her sensitive ass feelings. "Ass or no ass we still cool. Specially when you start lettin' me tap that."

"Artist, stop playin' on my phone."

"Who said I'm playin'?" It got quiet on her line.

"Anyway," she breathed. "Where you at now? You close?"

Evre wasn't back in school yet, but I was finally out, so I was heading down to Arizona to visit my momma.

It was a long ass drive from Cali to Arizona, but Evre made sure to stay on the phone the whole time I was driving, or texting me in hour and a half minute intervals to make sure I was safe. We had been on the phone for three and a half straight hours. I wanted to stay on the phone until it went dead. Especially since my little brother and my granny had went to sleep on me. I was already tired so I needed somebody to keep me up.

"Yeah, gimme another forty-five minutes and we should be crossin'." I said, keeping my foot on the gas.

"Ooh, ok, you and ya' moms' cool? You excited?"

I nodded.  "Yeah, you know I'on get to see her a lot. We close and shit."

"Why you move out to LA in the first place?"

"Some shit went down and I had to move."

"Like... shit like you got a bad grade, got arrested, got shot at? Like... what that mean?"

"It mean, some shit went down."

"Like a robbery? You robbed a nigga?" It got quiet. "Waittttt," she dragged. "Wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait. You really robbed a nigga?"

I made a face. "You heard me say that? Ion think I said that."

"Boy- never mind. But why you won't tell me?"

I shrugged. "Ain't nothin' to tell. Why you decide to come and stay wit'cho daddy all of a sudden?"

She paused. "Some shit went down." She replied.

"Ight, E." I said laughing, switching lanes.
• • • • •

"Mommy!" Anthony screamed at the top of his lungs, running up to my momma with his arms wide open.

My momma squatted down to his height, with her arms out and a big smile on her face. "My baby boy!" She squealed, hugging him tight and lifting him off his feet.

I made a face, walking over as they stepped in the house after I helped my granny out the car and up the steps.

"So fuck me huh? I done drove 9 hours to fuckin' see you." I muttered so my momma wouldn't hear me, kicking the door closed behind me and helping my granny down on the couch.