twenty

Evre Janelle Lennox

Ice is cool but I'm looking for more
Simple things is what my heart beats for
(cause that's me)
I don't ask for much
(Baby)
Having you is enough

I looked over Artist's way, smiling hard. "We don't have to go nowhere, it's not what I want! Baby it's you! We don't have to do nothing! It's not what I want! Baby it's you!"

"You corny as fuck." He nodded, looking over my way, and then focusing back on the road.

Laughing, I waved him off. "Boy fuck you." I said as he pulled into a parking space in the crowded parking lot and got out the car.

He got the kids out the car and I held their hands as we walked across the parking lot.

Since Anthony had gotten 100% on his math test, and had went a full week without getting in trouble—which surprised both me, and Artist—we decided to take him and his friend out to the movie theater to go and see Jumanji: The Next Level. I'd seen the first one, and I was hoping this new one was as good as the last.

"You gone stop talkin' to me like you fuckin' stupid." Artist promised, snatching me up.

"You ain't seen stupid yet." I hummed.

"Oh yeah?" He kissed on the side of my neck. "What that mean?"

"Fuck up and see," I promised.

Sucking his teeth, he slapped my ass, pushing me into the theater. "You got a smart ass mouf. I'on really like that."

I made a face. "Mouth."

"Bye." He mushed my head backwards, stepping in front of me and paid for the kids' and our tickets.

In the back of my mind, I thought about bringing my baby sisters, but they would fuck around and tell and I didn't feel like dealing with the repercussions until I said something. Besides, it was a whole ass movie room at my daddy's estate, they could see the movie whenever they wanted to.

After he paid for all the tickets, we walked over to the man, and he counted them off, telling us the movie would be playing in theater thirteen. Since we had some time before it started, we headed over to the concession stand.

"Did you quit?" I asked, picking up a pack of Trolli gummy worms and a Sprite.

Artist looked at me with his eyebrows furrowed. "What chu mean?"

"I mean, you say you work, and you sell weed. I always see you "makin' plays"," I quoted and he laughed. "But chu ain't never at work."

"Oh. That's cause I got fired." He waved me off.

"You wasn't gone tell me?" I noted.

He looked down at me with a shrug. "It wasn't important." Then he pulled me into him, where I was pressed against him as he walked us up to the counter. "Get me a hotdog." I told him and he nodded, copying my order and ordering something for him and the kids as well.

As he handed the clerk—a young black girl—the money, she smiled looking down at us. "You guys look like a wonderful family."